[mythtv-users] Show matching two searches not recorded

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue May 6 14:35:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 09:22:52AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/06/2014 07:45 AM, Nathan Wray wrote:
> >Hi all, I've had a bit of trouble with a show that matches two different
> >schedules with different priorities. I'd consider the behaviour I'm seeing
> >a bug but I'd appreciate any feedback on fixes.
> >
> >1) I have a PowerSearch named "HD Documentary" that is set to priority
> >(-10), with a definition "program.hdtv > 0 AND program.category =
> >'Documentary' ".
> >2) I have a specific schedule for "Cosmos" any time/any channel, HD, with
> >a priority of 99.
> >
> >When I click on Cosmos, it says it won't record it because it matches "HD
> >Documentary" and there are more important things to record like Spongebob
> >re-runs, due to the low priority on that schedule. If I disable "HD
> >Documentary" it correctly records Cosmos.
> >
> >I would expect that if a show matches multiple searches, it would apply
> >max(priority) - is there something I'm overlooking here?
>
> I'd need to see the output of mythbackend --printsched to know exactly what
> was happening, but it's possible you were just being shown the wrong
> information and it would have recorded, anyway.  If that's the case, it's a
> known bug in the display code that's being worked on (and/or fixed in a more
> recent version than you have).

It's very likely exactly as the OP described.  When two recording
rules match the same program, MythTV has a very specific method of
determining which rule 'wins'.  A former developer felt very strongly
that recording rule priority *not* be used in such cases, so it isn't.
I don't remember his argument, but if someone wants to work up a patch
to change it, I'll consider applying it.

> >I had to leave the HD Documentary search disabled to get Cosmos to record.
>
> You should have just done an override to "Record this specific showing."
> There's no need to disable the other rule.

Yes.

David
--
David Engel