[mythtv-users] Show matching two searches not recorded

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 7 03:57:04 UTC 2014

On 05/06/2014 10:23 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Michael T. Dean says:
>> There was a proposal*** by a scheduling genius to completely remove the
>> "pick some number between -99 and +99 to represent the priority for your
>> show
> This is the TiVo approach, and makes complete sense to me; I mentioned
> it favorably in 2007
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/301746#301746>).
>
> If one rule has a higher priority than another, it doesn't and
> shouldn't matter if the numbers are 2 and 1, 12 and 10, or 2000 and
> -33. I could see a case for reserving a very low number (-9999, say)
> as a special "ignore" flag that might be useful in some scripting
> situations, but that's about it.
>
>> As I understood the proposal, it would also make this "should we use
>> priority to determine which rule wins when multiple rules match a show"
>> issue a moot point because users would specifically say which rules
>> should win over which others when they move up/down rules in the
>> list
> Agreed. That said, is there anything preventing implementing such a
> visual-sorting approach right now, whether numeric priorities are
> retained or not?

The visual sorting part (not the "use priority to decide which rule wins
when multiple match" part) has basically always been there by going to
mythfrontend Manage Recordings|Recording Rules, then sorting by priority
(hit "2", as should be undeniably intuitive, or use MENU).  Then, to
move episodes up and down, use TV Frontend|RANKINC (by default, Right)
and TV Frontend|RANKDEC (by default, Left).  The whole screen was
designed for exactly this purpose, which is why it was called "Recording
Priorities" and why the version that was called "Recording Priorities"
had basically nothing but priority information on it.

Mike