[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed May 7 12:55:28 UTC 2014

At 12:57 PM +1000 5/7/14, Phill Edwards wrote:
>I for one love mythfrontend and have never found a reason to replace
>it with XBMC.
>
>But I accept they do different things and there is definitely scope
>for them to sit side by side on the same machine.

The MythTV developers are providing a sanctioned way to write
alternate frontends for Myth:  the Services API. There are at least
three more frontends out there now:  MythTV-Android-Frontend,
MythExpress and Torc.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Services_API

https://github.com/MythTV-Clients

https://github.com/Torc/torc

In addition, one of the developers is working on a wholesale
web-based Myth frontend using the Services API.  (Eating his own
dogfood, so to speak.)  The big deal here is that they want to modify
the backend and extend the Services API such that Myth's setup and
configuration can be done this way.

Which would be huge.  Especially if they can move to an embedded
database.  As I see it, the biggest thing holding Myth back is the
complexity of setting it up.  I've run into a number of folks who got
stuck on one of the steps of installing, configuring or initializing
MySQL and/or configuring Myth.  Lots more look at the work involved
and flee in panic.  Myth may never be a 'one-click' install but it
can be a lot easier.  Any steps in this direction are a big win.

XBMC can easily be another Myth frontend but they ought to convert to
the approved methodology and embrace the Services API.

Craig