[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed May 7 22:07:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On 07/05/14 22:50, Jim Oltman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With all the talk of users preferring to use XBMC my question is simple.
>>>
>>> What needs to change to make you want to use MythTV again?
>>>
>>> Paul H.
>>

>> I have a feeling this question will start a holy war.  But, I also think
>> it
>> is something the devs need to see as they're the ones doing the hard work.
>>   If they want to continue with MythFE, more power to them.  It's stable
>> and
>> works great with MythBE.
>>
>> In my opinion, XBMC has won in the "Frontend" department.  It has hundreds
>> of plugins.  It has a far superior Android remote. I can stream YouTube
>> from my phone directly to the XBMC device of my choice (using the Yatse
>> remote).  I can stream DLNA from my phone to XBMC.  XBMC has sexy skins.
>>   It can work with MythBE.
>>
>> And I agree with Brian Murrell, XBMC has reached critical mass.  It's
>> _the_
>> front end HTPC.  MythBacked is _wonderful_ and is everything we want.
>>   Superior scheduling, access to 99% of cable via cablecard.  Combining
>> the
>> two just seems natural.
>>
>> Now, is XBMC perfect?  No.  As JYA pointed out, it could use the Advanced
>> 2x deinterlacer, PiP and a _much_ better PVR-CMyth plugin.  The program
>> guide is pretty horrendous with that plugin.  LiveTV recording could be
>> better.
>>
>> I think it would be super cool for the MythDevs to continue supporting
>> Master/Slave MythBackend and then change their focus to XBMC for the
>> frontend.  Maybe they could even get the MySQL XBMC and MythTV DBs to
>> integrate to make a smoother MythTV/XBMC install for whole house media.
>>
>> Again, this is just my opinion.  I'm not a dev, but I know they pour their
>> hearts into this app.  I don't want them to think I/we are knocking
>> MythFE.
>>   It does it's job.  However, I wonder if moving away from deving FE and
>> using that time to improve on XBMC wouldn't be a step in the right
>> direction.
>>
> And for those of us who have no interest at all in using XBMC?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Well there had to be one :)

I don't have weird installs or strange media, but I can only think of
1 thing that Mythfrontend does better than XBMC and that would be
organizing recordings. What else can mythfrontend do that XBMC can't?
(Note: I use mythfrontend and until a few days ago hadn't used XBMC
since the Xbox days)

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos