[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 9 00:20:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 01:59:09PM -0600, Jim Oltman wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, I would have to disagree a bit.  I have been on the HDPVR a while,
> > and now that my TV supports HBOGo/Showtime/CineMax, etc - I no longer
> > record my shows with MythTV that I can watch in 1080p with my smartTV
> > (still whenever I want to).  No commflagging needed on pay channels anyway,
> > but the 1080p beats the shit out of DirecTVs 1080i through a HDPVR all day
> > long and twice on Sunday.  Of course I still watch everything else through
> > the FE.
> >
> > Just another opinion on Smart TVs.
> >

> I just recently got HBO Go on my PS3.  You know what sucks about it?
>  Throttling.  It can happen at any time and degrade my viewing experience
> and there's nothing I can do about it.  The picture and audio can look
> awful.  Sometimes, they're nice, but without a decent bitrate and good
> audio, what's the point?  I bought an HD TV and surround sound to use them
> to their fullest.

    I see this with Amazon and Netflix. Suddenly the quality will go to crap
or the feed will just crap out entirely for no apparent reason. It's also
trivially easy to get an internet streamer to crap out just by starting a
download.

    There is still something to be said for cached local content.

    A lot of the new devices are half baked. YMMV. A lot of these devices
have different UIs for the same service. Your users might prefer one over
another or refuse to use a particular variant.

    I think any device that can enforce a uniform UI across multiple display
manufacturers has an advantage.