[mythtv-users] UTC vs BST on a combined frontend/backend

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:15:42 UTC 2014

On 9 May 2014 11:41, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2014 02:48 AM, Greg Cope wrote:
>
>> How do I set Myth to be Europe/London?
>>

> Since, for some reason, you want your system to run with UTC as the local
> time, even though that's not the local time, you need to do:
>
> TZ='Europe/London' mythbackend
>
> Like any other program ever created for *nix, you must run the program in
> an environment that's using the desired time zone.
>
> You do realize, though, that setting UTC as the system's time zone is not
> what people talk about when they say you should run your *nix computers
> with the clock set to UTC, right?  You can set your hardware clock to UTC
> and set 'Europe/London' as the system's time zone.  If you do, the
> kernel/system still stores all times in UTC, but they're actually displayed
> in a meaningful time representation for users.

I appreciate that.

I am used to running hosts around the world, and not all apps respond well
to localtime changing or logging in a unified / sensible way that includes
the offset.  Hence the logic of one timezone - UTC/Zulu.

Might have to think about my intention to use UTC for my myth hosts ...

Greg