[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:03:04 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 5:08 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> Wow, I remember when MythTV was considered a high-end, luxury DVR system.
>  I guess now, you all want cheap (and, no, I don't mean "inexpensive").
>
> Personally, I'd rather spend my time working on a system that's more than
> the minimal functionality required to call itself a DVR.
>
> Mike

I think the point people are trying to get across is that XBMC runs on a
variety of different hardware, from the low powered RPi (that, admittedly,
does have some limitations, but it's a great entry device), to an Android
device, all the way up to a high end HTPC that can double as a game machine
(via SteamOS, or emulators, or whatever).  MythFE can't say that.  It
requires a PC.  I don't have a problem with my HTPC being a bigger device.
 I have a Dell tower under my TV.  It works.  However, I would like
something a bit more inconspicuous.

I think that MythBE is the luxury system.  Once it is setup, it works.
 Period.  Luxury (in my mind) is features _and_ eye candy.  I'm not saying
that the MythDevs shouldn't be proud of the work they've done.  MythFE
works amazingly well as a DVR.  But the time to include all the new FE
features people are wanting just isn't there.  Why not be pragmatic?  XBMC
is there.  It has tons of features and plugins.  One of the plugins can
talk to MythBE.  Why not finish work on the MythBE APIs (or documentation
of the APIs) and then re-write that XMBC plugin to work better?  Isn't that
the fastest approach?  Then, once that's stable, focus on making XBMC a
little better (deinterlacers, PiP, added features to the Myth plugin).

Obviously, as a user I don't have the full back-story, or insight that the
devs do.  They're free to do what they want.  I'll continue to use MythBE
as it's an amazing piece of software.  Thanks, MythDevs!