[mythtv-users] modernizing mythtv

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:53:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, 10 May 2014 20:28:32 +0200
Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes I'm very sure there is no X in my backend, I'm running Gentoo.
> > Alright, first I make sure my desktop X is accepting incoming
> > connections (it is not default in Gentoo). So I created ~/.xserverrc
> > with 'exec /usr/bin/X' in it. This will override default X start
> > string. Then I enabled incoming connections from my backend which
> > is mythtv by issuing 'xhost mythtv'. Then I log into backend using
> > SSH and issue 'DISPLAY=zeus:0.0 mythtv-setup' (obviously zeus is my
> > desktop). That's it. If your hostnames are not resolved in any way
> > you may use IP addresses instead.
>
> How does ~/.xserverrc interact with your windowmanager or does this
> play before that gets started? I'm still running gnome2 (took me quit
> some time to get the right masks in place, but no way ever am I using
> systemd) and in time when I have found the right alternative I'll go
> over to that.

~/.xserverrc is sourced by X when it starts, it is quite irrelevant
what runs on top of X, be it some sort of Desktop Environment, Window
Manager or just a plain X application as MythTV. (I know devs insist you
should not run MythTV on X without a DE or WM, but it is possible.)
I must say I'm complete stranger to Gnome and systemd, in past when I
started using Linux desktop environments did not interfere with
underlying system. Gentoo allows me not to use systemd and I will not.
I agree with everything said here: http://boycottsystemd.org

> Also does ~/.xserverrc need more then just 'exec /usr/bin/X'?

No.

--
Cheers, Saul