[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Sun May 11 07:42:16 UTC 2014

I'm late into this thread.

I don't use xbmc but use Plex instead. I like plex for the central
database (I know xbmc can sort of do this) and the ability of sync
content for off-line use.
We have 1 TV in our house and lots of tablets that also play lots of content.
I have integrated Plex into the mythtv menu and hardly ever use the
"videos" function of mythtv anymore.

I still think mythtv is the best interface for the DVR aspects
(scheduling, recording, liveTV, navigating). It is fast, responsive
and intuitive.

Plex provides a much better "videos" interface and is consistent
across all devices. Recordinging from mythtv are dumped into a
directory that Plex manages for recorded content using a script where
the name escapes me (creates correct file names).

It all works very well.

Phil