[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sun May 11 17:53:49 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> IR

> >> one factor is that reasonable TV panels are so cheap. I often see people
> >> wanting to kit out houses with 5 or more TVs. They balk at that many
> $2-300
> >> PC's but at $50 pis seems cheap. And yes the costs may vary widely
> depending
> >> where you live, but the pi is usually pretty cost effective no matter
> where
> >> you live.
> >
> > Also, in the past it took a pretty strong PC to decode HDTV well.  Now,
> all
> > these low end devices do HD playback nicely and it seems like they
> should be
> > able to easily handle another source (setting aside the MPEG2 decoding
> > issues which are a showstopper for most devices).  I would love to take
> > advantage of the low size, power, heat, noise, etc. of one of the many
> new
> > streaming devices.  Low cost is a bonus, but not really a requirement
> (for
> > me).
> >
> > I think one of the bigger driving issues is the rapid increase in
> internet
> > content sources, requiring multiple devices, multiple remove controls (or
> > complex config in a universal remote), and using up all the HDMI inputs
> > people have.
> >
> > I am most interested in alternate frontend options as a way to
> consolidate
> > devices.   I'll dump my Roku3 in a heartbeat if I can find a device that
> > does Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, and MythTV playback.  I could probably also
> > dump my AppleTV if the new device can play my iTunes music directly or
> > through gateway software.
> >

> I believe Amazon FireTV does netflix and amazon. It does xbmc and
> therefore mythtv although unsure about 1080i mpeg2 deinterlacing (not
> so much a worry for those of us getting h264 on the tele). That only
> leaves HBO Go, and can't seem to see that on the amazon advertising.

Yeah, you're right  the FireTV is very close to being an excellent frontend
device - with the deal killer of not being able to do HD MPEG2.

For these Android-ish devices, there is also the option of a few MythTV
frontend apps (e.g.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mythtv).   I'm
really only interested in XBMC as a way to get to MythTV on more
devices.  An app that only does MythTV may be more palatable for myth users.

Of course, these apps also depend on the hardware being able to do
accelerated MPEG2.  So, ATSC users are still at the mercy of the hardware
(or at least the license enabled features of the hardware).