[mythtv-users] What to check/change when changing LAN subnet

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:54:12 UTC 2014

On Monday, May 12, 2014, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't know what version of MythTV you're running, but lets assume 0.26 or
> greater, so you don't need to worry about mysql.txt, just config.xml. And,
> if you used hostnames, rather than IPs you needn't fire up the FE setup GUI
> to change them. All users (all copies.)
>
> Then there's /etc/mysql/my.cnf which you surely /never/ change, so you
> just need to look in /etc/mysql/conf.d/<allNames>.cnf for changes like:
> bind-address=x.x.x.x. And if it's 0.0.0.0, no work there either. Hika's
> method would catch potential problems here too.
>
> Do you have any custom scripts with IPs stored in:
>
>     Pre-shutdown-check command
>     Miscellaneous status application
>
> or in User Jobs/System Events? You could do:
>
>     SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value LIKE '%command%' AND hostname IS
> NULL;
>
> For me, it's only the two I listed above where I have a need to use
> netstat -n.
>
> Then there's external things like tablets/phones that may require IPs.
>
> But I tend to agree with Sam's idea. For all the planning you do, it's
> likely that nobody here knows enough about your system to identify all
> the places you've had to use IPs.
>
> --
> Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I had to go look at the files you mentioned. Turns
out they all had loop back references (either the name or IP), or the
aforementioned 0.0.0.0, so those are all good.

As for things I twiddled with, I tend to remember them and also create
./Archive subdirectories that warn me where skeletons be buried. ;-) I just
wanted to find out if I'd forgotten anything in the mythTV settings and
such.

--
Craig.