[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

Eric B bernhart2002 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 01:50:13 UTC 2014

> I have an ION-based MFE/MBE combined system, and it's chugging along
> fine. No problems with any HD playback. However, if the system dies,
> or some myth feature requires more power, I'm curious as to what the
> modern-day replacement for an ION is. In particular:
>
> - Small form factor
> - Low power draw
> - Integrated nvidia graphics

Try a AMD APU, with mesa 10 you can get VDPAU working. There's a great
range of product out there from low cost units that are good for a frontend
only or units that can be used for a combo box.
I have a gigabyte bxa8-5545 (a little smaller then a intel nuc) that I am
using as a frontend/backend combo, its a quad core cpu thats about on par
with a i3 and it'll play 1080p using VDPAU with no problems.
Not trying to be a AMD fan boy or anything both it worth a look. I was
surprised how well the open source driver works.