[mythtv-users] New OS X Installer

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue May 13 02:50:17 UTC 2014

At 2:58 AM +0100 5/13/14, Sam Jacobs wrote:
>On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 2:35 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>  MacPorts makes it even easier to install a complete OS X-based MythTV
>>  0.27-fixes system!
>>
>>  Now, there is a pre-built installer available for OS X, 10.6 and higher, at:
>>
>>  https://sourceforge.net/projects/macportsmythtvinstaller/
>>
>>  It provides everything for a self-contained Mac-based system:
>>  -backend and MySQL
>>  -frontend
>>  -Perl, Python and PHP bindings
>>  -MythWeb, for accessing and controlling your Myth system via a web browser
>>  -all the support programs and packages to make everything 'just work'!
>
>Very cool. For those whom an HDHomeRun is a reasonable choice*, this
>should make getting up and running with MythTV considerably easier.
>

>>  By the way, typically you shouldn't 'mix and match' the pre-built installer
>>  with MacPorts software you've built yourself.  They will each want to write
>>  to some system locations and don't know to avoid each other.
>
>This excludes me, unfortunately, but I'm not the sort of person this
>is aimed at, I expect! :P The more people using MythTV the better.
>
>Thanks,
>Sam
>
>* this excludes, for example, anyone in the UK (and other DVB-T2/S2
>countries) who wishes to record in HD. I've given up waiting for
>SiliconDust to release anything I want-their T2/S2 tuners have been
>coming *real soon now* for ages.
>
>P.S. This might be a thorny issue, but shouldn't we be *a lot* more
>upfront about the fact that OS X doesn't support USB tuners? As much
>as it'd be great for more people to use MythTV, given that the amount
>of work involved in getting set up is still more than, say, installing
>Elgato's EyeTV, I don't like that there's not something in big, bold
>text saying that you're not gonna be able to use your EyeTV stick with
>MythTV. Sam

Good point.  The main OS X page does say that but it is somewhat
buried in the middle of a long page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X#Limited_Tuners

Same with my MacPorts page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#Capture_Cards_and_Video_Sources

I'm in Canada so all I've picked up is some hearsay about the
situation outside of North America.  The HDHomerun line provides some
pretty good choices for us.

Craig