[mythtv-users] What to check/change when changing LAN subnet

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Tue May 13 07:44:00 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 09:06 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> True, but when I get a new firewall/router, especially in a hurry because the old one
>> died unexpectedly, things get hectic and with me, that usually means
problems.
>> The last time I replaced the router, I ended up with one that didn't
support DHCP/DNS
>> (no openWRT) and had to scramble to get things reset because it
defaulted to the
>> 192.168.1.X subnet.
> Speaking as someone contemplating the move the other way round, ie away from 192.168.0
> which was the default for the first router I had, how about a bit of
forward thinking.
> If your router is that unreliable, then get another cheap one now and
configure it. Or,
> use one ofyour Linux machines as a router and get all the benefits of that - add
> Shorewall as an easy to use firewall "appliance" and you'll wonder how
you ever managed
> with some crappy and limited CPE router !

I second the Shorewall recommendation, although I'm running it on a
physical router rather than in a VM.

I've recently had to replace a broken VDSL2 modem which out-of-the-box
also wants to be a router and wants to claim the 192.168.1.1 address
which on my network is altogether the wrong subnet.

In my experience it's really much easier to integrate such a box into
the network just once in its lifetime (of several years) than it is to
renumber a network. In this case it took me around 20mins to change the
modem's IP address, turn off its PPP client, turn on the bridge and
establish the PPP connection from my own router (which is a Soekris box
running Debian).

Cheers, Jan