[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue May 13 22:18:36 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> Although, hardware based transcoding tuners like the new HDHR units
> may provide a cost effective solution.  I'm assuming the electrical
> costs associated with transcoding in hardware will be a lot lower than
> doing it in software.  If the device works reliably, and you can just
> set it into transcode mode and forget it, all the arguments about
> human labor associated with the transcoding go away as well.

btw, according to messages on the SiliconDust message
forum (oh, how I wish they used email lists rather than a
forum (I could not resist!)) the 2-tuner transcoders can be very
noisy for some (the fans (being small) are apparently loud in
some cases when transcoding due to the heat from the
chip).  The 4-tuner version is likely to be louder (unless they
put it into a much bigger box, with much larger fans running
at a slower speed).  Plan to place your 4 tuner transcoder
in an environmentally conditioned (cool) environment with
sound deadening....