[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net
Wed May 14 15:16:27 UTC 2014

On 05/14/2014 09:53 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org
> <mailto:eric at lisaneric.org>> wrote:
>
>     [snip]
>
>     Because it's not really that cheap and doesn't perceptibly reduce
>     quality.
>
>     I just ordered a new disk which, after being installed, will take my
>     backend up to around 13TB including space for all types of files
>     (recordings, video ripped from optical disks, audio, photos, and home
>     movies).  It fills up fast.  Using that space more efficiently is
>     definitely attractive.
>
>     But for me, it really is mostly about compatibility with portable
>     devices.
>

> Boy does it ever fill up fast. Added a 2TB at Xmas and we're already
> at 240gb free. Of course so much space makes one keep thinking they
> can put things off, so we've got about 400gb of Dr. Oz the missus
> needs to check out for me to edit down to needed segments or delete
> altogether.
>
> Of course I can always put a new 2TB (or 4TB) on the wishlist for next
> Xmas. But maybe I want an HDHR4....Santa!

The issue for me is that I can't just toss another drive in my system to
expand storage.  The case is full (only room for the system flash drive
and one hard drive).  If I want to expand, I have to replace my current
(3TB) drive, or set up a secondary file server.

A file server is where I need to go now.  Something in the basement with
a bunch of drives in a RAID would be ideal.  Unfortunately, most of the
solutions I've looked at seem to be far more expensive than they should
be.  Dedicated file servers seem to be way overpriced.  Low-power
systems don't have enough SATA ports.