[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed May 14 19:29:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Preston Crow
<pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> RAID is one form of data protection.  It protects against loss due to a
> drive failure.  Backups protect against loss due to accidental deletion or
> corruption (by user or software bug), as well as against loss of the entire
> system (due to theft, lightning, or toddler with water), but don't protect
> recent data from the loss of a drive. Both are important.  You have to weigh
> the value of the data, the cost of the solution, and the risk of the loss.
> I'm most worried about a drive loss, so that's where I'm going to invest
> first to reduce my risk.

What I do is use rlbackup via cron to periodically copy stuff I care
about from one disk to another.

http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/rlbackup/

rlbackup is just a thin layer of scripts around rsync.

Compared to RAID, I lose high availability uptime preservation or the
ability to recover files created since the last cron run, but I gain
the ability to recover accidentally deleted files, or revert files to
previous previous versions after certain ill advised system
administration events.  This has saved me a number of times where a
RAID wouldn't have been any help at all.

Eric