[mythtv-users] 14.04 install bug

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Thu May 15 02:28:15 UTC 2014

One of my FE's threw its primary HD. So, I ordered a replacement that
also is an upgrade and installed a new Mythbuntu install, initially
trying 14.04.
No dice, first attempt was rolled USB image, it errored and I
regrettably did not have the network cable plugged in to report a
potential bug. I wasn't really certain anyway, as an artifact could have
been created when massaging image to dmg to USB.
So, I burned a DVD and tried an install, this time with the network
cable plugged in.
Again, it blew up and I recorded the bug upwards as 1318817, which is a
duplicate of 1290460.

Mythbuntu Installer Crashes: File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mythbuntu_common/vnc.py", line 58, in create_password ValueError: Password should be passed as bytes

For those who haven't lost interest so far, it appears that there is a
proposed fix. As I've completed the install of 12.04 on that FE and it's
one of my mass storage units as a secondary duty due to it being
infrequently used as a FE, I can't test any proposed fix.
Slightly annoying to find a show stopper bug, but invigorating to see it
escalated and potentially fixed so quickly!  :)

For those interested, see the below:

Accepted mythbuntu-live-autostart into trusty-proposed. The package will
build now and be available at http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
/mythbuntu-live-autostart/0.70 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed
repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to
enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this update
out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested, and change the tag
from verification-needed to verification-done. If it does not fix the
bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to
verification-failed.  In either case, details of your testing will help
us make a better decision.