[mythtv-users] fire tv as mythtv frontend

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:45:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> That is excellent news as these cheap media players will suddenly be real
> options for cable content in the US as most content providers are streaming
> MPEG2. Even if we can't always use the actual MythTV frontend software.
> Options are always good.

btw, the same transcoding chip is being used by some STB
manufacturers which are providing the MSOs with their
"connected home" devices which can stream via DLNA/DTCP-IP
(and mostly require lower profile bitrate H.264 for adequate
usability, especially over wireless and most mobile devices
that cannot do MPEG2).

And while I cannot forsee giving up my MythTV system,
the (not yet GA) Comcast Xi3 boxes promise quite a
nice set of capabilities for "most" consumers.  And the Xi3
will be the beginning of the end for QAM (let the doom and
gloom discussions start in another thread), moving to
pure IP delivery of content.