[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri May 16 09:47:01 UTC 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 10:52, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 May 2014 18:12, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> The recent models, yes, the original Sony 85” monster, not so wonderful, while 2160p looked great 1080i scaled was pretty awful, ok the 2160p was uncompressed but even later tests with heavily compressed jpeg2000 2160p looked better than uncompressed 1080i scaled by the TV.
>
> how hard can it be upscaling from 1080 to 2160.... really…

Exactly! Ok, it’s a lot of pixels but equally they charge a lot of money :-O

> how could it look "awful” ?

Jaggies, terrible motion, looked a little like bob de-interlacing, looked softer than usual for 1080i although that is to be expected on a higher res display. When run at 25p scaling looked ok, could have been better but ok so I suspect that de-interlacing was done 1080i to 1080p then scaled to 2160p instead of de-interlace to 2160p. Sony have nothing to say beyond, this is not a problem on newer models please buy one of those.

One Broadcaster I work with has bought one of every “4k” TV available at the time, before CES. I haven’t seen every model but they say that all of them have one problem or other. Most are good at 24p or 25p, I guess 30p too, they are in Europe so that isn’t much of a consideration for them. If you watch only Drama and Films maybe the TVs are ok, if you watch sports especially if you want the new 2160p50 (and I guess 60p in the US) services that are being trialled now they be very very wary about what to buy.

I’m sure all the sets are great for looking at photos :-P