[mythtv-users] Scrambled preview image after HandBrakeCLI transcode

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon May 19 18:14:20 UTC 2014

On 19/05/14 14:44, David H. Johnson, III wrote:
> I'm having the same issue as Mark
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/555356) --
> mythpreviewgen is cranking out scrambled/garbled images (exact symptoms
> as Mark's) on my HandBrakeCLI-transcoded MP4s.  I tried Mike(mtdean)'s
> solution and ran
>
> mythcommflag --rebuild --file /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/2002_20140429140000.mp4
>
> but still get the same scrambled images.  Am I missing something?  Prior
> to running mythcommflag, I updated the filename, filesize and transcoded
> fields for the appropriate record in the recorded table.  Is there
> anything else I need to update?
>
> Thank you,
> David

I believe there's still a problem with mythcommflag --rebuild and at
least some varieties of h264 material.  It may find only a small
proportion of the 'keyframes' identified during the original recording.
  I don't know if that might affect what you see.  AFAIK the latest on
this is here

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12010#comment:5

but I rarely record h264 and I haven't done a recent test of that
specific correction.  I recently noticed that there had been a similar
ticket earlier.

My main Mythbox is looking pretty dead at present after a few unexpected
failures in the past few weeks.  Maybe I should give it a rest...

John P