[mythtv-users] Scrambled preview image after HandBrakeCLI transcode

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Tue May 20 03:30:12 UTC 2014

Just to let Mike, David, and everyone else know.  I attempted the rebuilds
as suggested by Mr. Dean at the time but had no luck with the issue.  Since
it was only a cosmetic annoyance for me I figured best not to risk breaking
something that would impact the WAF and just lived with it.

I've since added a HDTC-2US tuner which transcodes the stream before it
even reaches MythTV.  Mythpreviewgen has no issues with these files.  I'm
guessing it has something to do with the handbrakecli options.  For
reference, here is the script I had been using:

#!/bin/bash
echo $* >> /storage/mythtv/scripts/transcode-HandBrakeCLI.log
jobid=$2
source=$1
dest=${source%.mpg}.mkv
echo Source = $source
echo Dest   = $dest
echo Job    = $jobid

#Transcode
/usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI -5 --preset="High Profile" -i $source -o $dest
#Update MythTV
/storage/mythtv/scripts/transcode_stub.py $jobid

Perhaps it has something to do with the auto de-interlacing (decomb, I
think they call it) if it happens consistently on progressive video but not
interlaced.