[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Differentiate TV Shows From Movies

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 23 14:33:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 09:57:06AM -0600, Jim Oltman wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I use the following recommended directory structure:
> > Show Name/Season XX/showname.SXXEYY
> >
> > Files are *always* appearing in the order of episode #.
> >
> > Even if we had a split between TV and Movie dedicated grabber (like
> > XBMC does), it wouldn't find for /01-01 - View from the Villa.mpg
> >
> > The directory name the file is found has no bearing on the grabber.
> > 01-01 - View from the Villa.mpg
> >
> > doesn't contain the show name, how is it supposed to find it and guess
> > where it's coming from?
> >
> > Just follow the wiki, it's all there
>

> Forgive me, but the method you suggest seems to be a waste of filename
> space.  You already have the name of the show in the path.  Why does it
> also need to be in the filename too?  This is something I go through with
> music as well:

    Are characters in the filename a precious and scarce thing? If not, then
why act as if they are?

    The problem with the directory structure being part of the name of your
file (and not repeated in the file) is that you lose that information as soon
as you move/copy that file some place else.

    Since they are BIG, they are also more likely to be separated from their
siblings and off on their own.

[deletia]