Configuring MythTV for the HDHomeRun Prime
In both .24-fixes and the current development version of MythTV (master), it is possible to use the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime to view material which is not recordable using traditional tuners. The HDHomeRun Prime uses a CableCard to decrypt and stream three or six simultaneous programs, depending on the model used. This guide is an illustrated, step-by-step method of configuring the HDHomeRun Prime with MythTV.
The following steps should be applicable when setting up the Hauppauge DCR-2650.
Setting up the Lineups and Tuners
Although soon it will be possible to configure the HDHomeRun Prime without any special considerations, it is currently necessary to use some "tricks" to get a working lineup, and in the case of MythTV .24-fixes, to use all three tuners on each HDHomeRun Device. A summary of the steps needed:
- In .24-fixes, the HDHomeRun must be either created by IP, and the tuner number manually edited, or by using the autodiscovery feature and creating a duplicate of one tuner to represent the third, and then that tuner's device string must be manually changed in the database. This step does not apply to master/.25.
- A brand new video source must be created. That source must be attached to an analog or demo tuner device, and the channels must be filled by pressing the "Fetch Channels from Listings Source" button.
- The new video source must be removed from the analog device and attached to the HDHomeRun Prime tuners.
- I'm not able to tune any of my channels! The OSD simply says "Partial Lock" and "LAMc". What gives?
- A Lock message of LAMc indicates the channel is encrypted and untuneable. There are multiple possibilities. Either the channel might not be copy-freely, and thus is uncapturable in MythTV, or your CableCard may not have been properly activated. Check your HDHomeRun Prime's web page (by bringing up its IP address in a web browser). Click Status Menu. You should be able to see the tuner which is currently recording, and the channel to which it is tuned. Click the link for that tuner number at the top. The value for Authorization should be subscribed and the CCI Protection should be unrestricted. If either of these values are different, and you are certain your CableCard and HDHR Prime are properly paired, then this channel may not be capturable in MythTV. A value of "unknown" most likely means that your card is not properly provisioned. For ClearQAM channels (channels which can be tuned with any QAM tuner), Authorization may be unknown, but the channel may still be capturable.
- Because many technicians (even those allegedly trained on the subject) are unfamiliar with Cablecard setups, particularly with devices like the HDHomeRun Prime, there is a good chance that you will have to call your cable provider a couple of times to get things worked out. If a regular reset doesn't work (sometimes it can take more than one to "stick"), ask for a "Cold Hit", "DAC Init" or "Grand Slam Init/Hit". For some reason, the phone representatives are hesitant to try these, so be insistent.
- The direct number to the Comcast Cablecard activation line is 877-405-2298, which should connect you directly to a human. Don't bother calling the number that your device recommends; that is just the normal customer service number.
- I have defined my tuners by IP, but when I try to use more than one of them, all my recordings fail!
- You must update to (at a minimum) latest .24-fixes to use the HDHomeRun Prime. Numerous bugs, notably one which caused failed recordings when defined by IP, have been fixed.