Displaying Unicode Characters in MythVideo

From MythTV Official Wiki
Revision as of 04:18, 31 January 2006 by Goldfishbot (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

This is a short HOWTO to display Unicode Chars in MythVideo.

My wife has some chinese movies that she likes to watch on MythVideo; but the filenames have chinese characters on them, thus show up as garbage on Mythvideo's browser. After lots of digging, this is what I did to fix it:

  • Get your locale right. There are various ways in different distributions to do this, but in Debian and bash, I did:
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
  • Get a font that supports unicode. I copied over Arial Unicode MS from my laptop running Windows XP. Testing it in Konqueror, konqueror now renders the filenames correctly.
  • Remove all old metadata in videometadata table. On 0.18, MythVideo is unable to remove metadata entries that have unicode characters. You have to manually remove them.
  • For the theme that you're running, figure out the font that is being used for the list. The theme file should be in:
    • /usr/share/mythtv/themes/<theme>/theme.xml or
    • /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/<theme>/theme.xml.
I looked at Titivilus (my current theme), and changed the font there from whatever it was to Arial Unicode MS.
  • Rerun video manager to repopulate the videometadata database.