MythTV Official Wiki talk:Community Portal
This page will be for semi-threaded discussions about the topic suitable for the Community Portal; as we reach concensus about various topics, we'll transpose that information to the article page. Note that this page isn't really suitable for asking questions about MythTV itself; no where on this wiki really is. You should ask such questions on the mailing list, or on the MythTVTalk forums, instead.
Please use the "+" tab up top there if you're adding an as-yet unaddressed topic, so you'll automagically get a subject header.
Tagging pages for deletion
Not everyone has deletion power. I have scrubbed some page titles based on the import job, and came up with a template Template:Ready for deletion that can used to mark pages ready for deletion. It will put in a little text, and then put that article into Category:Articles Ready for Deletion. In some cases (like a REDIRECT page), I had to put that on the Talk page. We need a way a top level link to get to that category, so the sysops can get in and approve deletion requests. --Gregturn 19:09, 17 January 2006 (UTC)
- We can actually just go to the list of categories, but I agree that there needs to be something to remind us, and as I assemble administrator-y links, that's one I'll put on. Thanks, Greg.
--220.127.116.11 16:53, 19 January 2006 (UTC)
Where should we put editing policies (and debate them as well)?
Where are we going to post general editing guidelines? One example of a policy I know from wikipedia (and agree with) is that in your articles, don't make anything level 1 (like = Section =). This is because the article names themselves are already at that level, so any sections you make should be contained within that. Would be nice to establish some guidelines, so we don't have to reformat a whole slew of articles in the future. --Gregturn 18:22, 23 January 2006 (UTC)
- Create a page for the guidelines and we can use its Talk page to discuss them. Perhaps pull the guidelines from wikipedia that are there for technical reasons in how the wiki's operate (like your section example), and we can change/modify them from there.--Steveadeff 19:32, 23 January 2006 (UTC)
- Guidelines are often put in <<Project>> namespace (in this case, <<MythTV>>) to reflect policy. I guess "if you want something, you got to do it yourself" really applies. I'll start cooking up some "draft" policies, and as always borrow a little from wikipedia. ;) --Gregturn 19:41, 23 January 2006 (UTC)
- I have created MythTV:Manual of Style, and put some preliminary comments on MythTV talk:Manual of Style. It's definitely a first cut. --Gregturn 20:46, 23 January 2006 (UTC)
Special:Emailuser for spam-free communication
I don't like to publish my eMail address because I do not want spam-harvesters to pick them up. Some Mediawikis allow Special:Emailuser/Username - you might activate this feature or install Extension:ContactPage. --Matt 11:50, 17 April 2007 (UTC)
Can't create an XFS partition on second drive
I simply can't WAIT to use MythTV with my new PVR-150. The Ubuntu guide is amazing! All the way to the point where I should save my captures to a partition using the XFS file system. That's where I'm stuck. I have tried a number of things, last being booting with the GParted LiveCD and trying to create a XFS partition. An error occurred. Any ideas?
Who's driving the train? :-)
(moved from Talk:Mythtv-setup)
Octavian November 15, 2007
I hope somebody will read this post.
I have started reading some of the wiki pages and I have noticed that sometime the information is duplicated, or the concepts are spread among several pages. There are plenty of good wiki pages available but there is no orchestrated effort towards a good doc.
I wonder how many active contributors are there? Who is cleaning this wiki? BTW, don't shoot at me since I am new around here.
- BANG! Consider yourself shot.
- Not really. I say go to town, though I think this should be done as part of the User Manual, which at this point, is woefully incomplete within the context of the wiki. And the docs hanging off of mythtv.org are only partially wiki-fied. I think we need to step up and get the user docs...well, usable. Valid questions on the wiki-cleanup. Maybe suitable for the MainPage Talk? --DirkGecko 19:26, 16 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hi Dirk,
- Is there any "semi-stable" team of wiki writers? It would be nice to start organizing ourselves.
- I really like to contribute but I hate duplicating the effort, or start changing other pages without their consent. Maybe some task "assignments" can help us out after a brainstorming session on how to organize the docs. And I don't really care taking the tasks others don't want as long as the final contribution looks great.
- Yes, put it on the main page. I don't do it since I am not accustomed with the process around here. -- Octavian 21:51, November 16, 2007
- There has not really been any specific team of people lately, no. Follow Recent Changes for an idea of who the most active contributors are, I would say.. And I concur with Dirk, as I noted on my talk page, that the User Manual is probably the most important target.
- I will likely chew off at least a few hours on Thanksgiving to spin through the place and try to organize things a little bit.
- Categorizing pages which aren't is also a good idea. It's a bit harder to clean up poor choices of category name than page name, so we should probably discuss proposed new category names here first, rather than just applying Be Bold.--Baylink 21:43, 16 November 2007 (UTC)