Remark: My frontend is in german language, so don't worry if the words in this paragraph are not exactly the same as on your screen.
Following worked for me: precondition:
- working DVB-S card (tested with mplayer, dvbstream, ...)
- channels.conf from mplayer
- sux - mythtv (just my way to change the user)
- run mythtv-setup
- add dvb-s card, as card type i used: DVB DTV TV-Card (v3.x)
- as Frontend ID there should be some autodetected text, here it is ST STV0299 DVB-S
- Don't forget to set DiSEqC, i set to Universal (Europe)
- For video source i used Transmitted guide only (EIT)
- point 5 on main page of mythtv-setup is something like configure sender
- first i searched for senders (its Sendersuchlauf in german)
- as scantype i used read channels.conf, i used an generated channels.conf for mplayer. Maybe i used scan command from dvb-utils package. It's necessary to tell mythtv which transponders are there
- as result i got entries like br(512)(dvb-s). Unfortunately they are wrong and i only got a blank screen when i tried to watch using mythfrontend.
- Next you should delete the found senders.
- select again scan for senders (Sendersuchlauf)
- use full scan of all known transponders
- know mythtv-setup found the correct settings
- after exit of mythtv-setup, starting of mythbackend and mythfrontend i was able to watch live dvb-s tv.
Please don't hesitate to write me an email with your questions concerning this paragraph. You can use german or english language. My email is public_grueni(_at_)gmx.at. I will try to answere your question and update this paragraph.