The backend runs in a KVM virtual machine. The host OS is Ubuntu 10.04 64bit server. The guest OS is Mythbuntu 10.10 32 bit. The guest network adapter is bridged to the main LAN.
An HDHomeRun dual tuner with an antenna is used.
- Asus M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX Motherboard
- AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz Socket AM2 Processor
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 Memory
- Seagate PATA 7200.8 200GB boot drive
- SansDigital TR5M-B eSATA Port Multiplier External Enclosure
- 5x Seagate 2TB 5900RPM drives ST32000542AS
- These are configured as a RAID 5 using the Linux MD tools
The guest VM is configured with two virtual hard disks. The boot disk is 6GB and resides on the boot drive for the host. The second is a 300GB disk stored on the large external array. The host and guest boot disks are ext4. The host and guest data disks are xfs.
I tried mounting the array on the guest using samba, but got very poor performance and weird errors. The current setup actually works pretty well despite being in a VM.
Currently I use an XBMC system as a frontend. It is capable of playing back the shows and skipping commercials. Mythweb is used for recording scheduling.
- Jetway JC-300-B Black Mini-ITX with DC power supply
- Zotax IONITX-B-E Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz NVIDIA ION Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU
- A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 Memory
- It is very important for VDPAU that this be dual channel
- A-DATA 4GB Flash Drive as a boot drive
- AVS Gear GP-IR01BK Infrared Remote Control