From MythTV Official Wiki
Here are some little gems that help when using MythTV.
- Did you know that your mythbackend (0.14+) gives a nice HTML output? Try http://yourmythttvbox:6544/
- Want password authentication to MythWeb? Check out the Securing MythWeb page for step by step advice on how to do it! In 0.19+, this functionality is built in, see .htaccess file for details
- Did you know that the MythTV source tarball contains a contrib/ directory with lots of little tools for all sorts of things?
- Did you know that you can enable antialiasing by executing '
export QT_XFT=1' before starting mythfrontend? (ref.)
This will give you nice smooth fonts
- Did you know that you can disable the XV acceleration (so you can take screenshots) by executing '
export NO_XV=1' before starting mythfrontend?
- Did you know you can export the nuv file to vcd, xvid, avi, other?
- Did you know you can merge two MPG files together?
cat File1 File2 > Merged File-name.
(This can't be done with NUV and AVI files, since they have a file header)
- Did you know you can merge two AVI files by using the transcoder utilities?
avimerge -o "name of the new.avi" -i cd1.avi cd2.avi cd3.avi
- Did you know that you can record a program in LiveTV by pressing RECORD which has a default keybinding of 'R'? The recording will start at the beginning of the program or the beginning of the stream, whichever is most recent (In versions prior to 0.19, recording started when you hit 'R', and no data is copied from the LiveTV buffer)
- Did you know that playback and recording can be filtered on a per channel basis? See Filter Instructions.
- Did you know that if you messed up the keybindings beyond recognition, you can reset them by going to Setup|Edit Keys, pressing MENU (M), and then selecting, "Reset All Keys to Defaults."
- Did you know that the key names can be found from the Qt's src/kernel/qkeysequence.cpp file. For example, you can add Volume Up, Volume Down and Volume Mute to the list of keys that control the respective actions.
- Did you know that if you put *.png,*.jpg,*.jpeg or *.gif image files into your music folder, MythMusic will pick a random one when it plays from that folder and you're using the Album Art visualization.
- Did you know that pressing 'd' in the profile-group menu lets you delete profile groups? (0.15+) (Is this still true? Doesn't seem to work in Knopp Myth 5A15.)
- If you are having font related problems such as menu fonts not appearing a readable size, try installing the truetype Windows fonts using your distributions font installer. (was this ever the proper way to solve font size issues?)