I have been using MythTV for about 14 years now.
I first decided to that a computer would be better than a VCR around 2001 but after trying out showshifter on Windows I decide a Linux based solution would be better and help my professional development. The first trail runs where with RedHat and MythTV 0.7 . In those days it I always upgraded to the latest release, as I wanted the new functions. The WAF increase quickly in the early days and MythTV enabled our viewing habits to change. We moved from missing things we wanted to watch and there not being anything on TV when we had the opportunity, to there always being TV we want to watch always being available. Plus the wife seemed to take ownership of the remote.
For me MythTV was pretty feature complete at 0.18 ( I was only waiting for Mutli rec, but I solved that by buying 3 DVB-T cards instead). I messed up and upgrade to 0.19 by mistake. I let my 0.19 testing frontend connect to the 0.18 master backend which it auto updated it. This resulted in 2 hours to sort out all the issues and a lower WAF complaining about wasting time and making MythTV look funny (changes in UI)
I therefore generally followed the if it isn't broke don't fix it attitude. One of the DVB-T cards broke so I upgraded to 0.21 as very occasionally I would want to record 3 things at once (about every 3 months). I then moved the backend to VM on a XEN host with ZFS in around 2012, but I installed 0.24 due to 0.25 having now XvMC that my minimyth M10000 frontends required. About 6 months later I bought a HDTV, change the the M10000 for a old Q6600 with onboard nVidia and left mythtv at 0.24 (using Ubuntu lts 10.04) in a if it isn't broke don't fix it.
My next plan
|Number of shows:||887|
|Number of episodes:||13108|
|First recording:||Sunday June 6th, 2004|
|Last recording:||Friday February 12th, 2016|
|Total Running Time:||11 years 8 months 6 days 10 hrs 30 mins|
|Total Recorded:||1 year 2 months 21 days 4 hrs 53 mins|
|Percent of time spent recording:||10%|