Build from Source
There are four key parts to MythTV, and setup roughly in this order.
0. Start system services that MythTV Needs
1. Initialize the system database, mythconverg
2. Setup system preferences and tune your tv card using mythtv-setup
3. Start main MythTV server, mythtvbackend
4. Start MythTV, mythfrontend
Its a good idea to run these from a terminal window to start with, so we can see that everything is as it should be. Once all has been set up and complete, then we can run mysql/mythbackend/frontend as background server processes.
Start system services
We need to have both "mysql" and "mythbackend" running on startup
For SUSE 10.0
Start YaST -> System ->System Services ( RunLevel)
Select mysql click "enable" Click OK after popup dialog
Select ntp click "enable" Click OK after popup dialog
Notice there is a mythbackend option, would suggest that you do not enable "mythbackend" just yet, till you have tried running in a terminal window as below. If step below all works then enable this to run.