Building RPMS from Source
If you usually use the atrpms or rpmfusion repositories to obtain mythtv rpm files, but need to make some changes to one or a few files, it is not difficult to amend and re-create an rpm.
You will need the rpm-build utilities, the source rpm for the package you wish to revise and the specific directory layout used by rpm.
1. yum install rpm-build
2. Download the source SRPM to your computer. Use a browser to find it at atrpms or rpmfusion and 'save as' to your computer at, say /tmp
3. Create a build tree in a user home directory:
cd /home/mythtv mkdir rpm cd rpm mkdir SOURCES SPECS BUILD SRPMS RPMS mkdir -p RPMS/i386 RPMS/athlon RPMS/i586 RPMS/i686 RPMS/noarch
4. Create an rpm-macro to point to this spot, whichever login user you are:
echo "%_topdir /home/geoffrey/rpm" > /home/mythtv/.rpmmacros or echo "%_topdir /home/geoffrey/rpm" > /root/.rpmmacros
(The latter will fail if you are not root, of course.)
5. Cd to whereever the source rpm is:
6. Install the source rpm.
rpm -i whatever.fc12.i386.src.rpm
7. cd to /home/mythtv/rpm/SOURCES and make whatever changes are required.
8. cd /home/mythtv/rpm/SPECS
9. Build the revised rpm
rpmbuild -bb whatever.spec
10. Change to the correct architecture folder.
11. Install the revised rpm.
rpm -Uvh *rpm