Feature Wishlist (Plugin Addons)
From MythTV Official Wiki
Revision as of 21:34, 15 March 2006 by Gregturn
- Implement support in mtd and MythDVD to support CD+G format using libcdg123
- Option to eject the DVD after it's been ripped
- Add EXIF display option for photos in myth's photo gallery. Also, create thumbnails of very large jpgs to speed up display.
- make myth's photo display more flexible to allow display of variable number of photos per screen (like iPhoto or picasa)
- take transition effects from xscreenaver and implement them for myth photo module
- Add ability to define extension types to activate specific command line for a given extension. Like MythVideo.
- Aspect Ratio key to zoom and stretch the picture to fit widescreen TV's
- Select audio track to play during slideshow
- Add Ken Burns Pan and Zoom Effect to slideshow
- Support for an option to search for a rom!
- Add support to MythGame for epsxe (Can be used with the new MythGame!) - Also add support for mtd to detect Playstation 1 cds (This not!)
- Add simple games that can be played via the remote control (i.e. arrow keys and enter) - like some type of simple minesweeper or sokoban
- Add The Ability To Quit A Emulator With The Remote (not all people have keyboards plugged in)
- Add a "Game Display Order" option for grouping roms by the First Letter of the Game Title. Example: Airwolf & Arkanoid show up in the "A" category, BurgerTime & BubbleBobble in the "B" category etc...
- Add Support for ScummVM based Games like Maniac Mansion or Sam`n Max Hit the Road
- Don't group A-G, H-K, etc.... It makes no sense to not group 1,2,3,4 and then group by alpha characters, especially when you have thousands of MP3s...
- For Audiobook-lovers like me this two things would enhance the mythmusic experience by far:
- Add Resume to the Mythmusic. It would be great, if MythMusic would start with the last played Song not with the first in the Playlist.
- Add Sleep-Timer to Mythmusic.
- Add a Bookmark feature, which allows one bookmark per mp3, so it asks: "Jump or play from beginn?"
- Add an option to import playlists for and streaming URL's for internetradio to MythMusic
- Implement libvisual into MythMusic for additional effects
- Provide ability for MythMusic user to select music by Genre - this would be an easy way to deal with large music colletions and playlists
- Store CDDB ID for ripped CDs, 2 for easy fetching of updates from CDDB. (Is this already in? Or even handy?)
- Lyrics it would be great to see what those songs really said... I guess you'd have to put some simple timebased scrolling... or go the manual scroll
- a complete overhaul of the playlist editor is urgently required.
- Add a Flickr stream as the visualizer, and for extra points, match the music & image emotion!
- Create a way to quickly move through long lists.
- Add Support for http://last.fm like in amarok, which enhaces the Music enjoy a lot!
- Option for Ripping to occur as a background task. Use MythNotify to prompt the user for verification of CDDB results, etc. Allows ripping while watching TV.
- Lots of nice little ideas for MythNotify 2, 3}, most of them pretty 'one of a kind' cases though.
- Broadcast notifications to all frontends, would be a MythNotify feature
- Provide an onscreen IM client (based on MythNotify ?) Ideally it should integrate with GAIM and allow an IM chat in transparent text while watching TV with variable font size - possibly using GAIMnOSD
- Run a command when no input is detected, for example to switch on a decoder box or send a "Help!" mail or something.
- MythTV watchdog, which would store crash reports to be sent together with bugreports.
- Sending logs via email, probably good for an howto to do that with existing programs (logrotate or something?)
- Add Skype support to MythPhone
- Add Asterisk integration and configuration details to MythPhone and docs
- Add Gizmo Project/Google Talk integration
- Add Open Zoep integration
- Search feature.
- Browse by genre (e.g. Select a movie by Action->Adventure->Terminator or Adventure->Action->Terminator etc. Like the tree view but genres instead of directories. Would be very fast to find a movie you want to see.
- Series browser Broken Link A small idea to make series browsing easy in MythVideo.
- DVD Chapter names, and Matroska Chapter names. It seems other media players connect to a web service to retrieve chapter names based on the DVD. These would be a nice addition to the current "Title 18 of 23" text.
- Not only for Mythvideo... for MythDVD too please :)
- Make Matroska-support of the Internal Player perfect. (Make seeking and subtitles work)
- Tree browse by genre. Maybe even multiple genres.
- Allow browsing of multiple directories (possibly on multiple harddrives) (<-- a quick workaround is to use links)
- Solve the following scaleability problem, on a system with a large number of movies (and tv episodes) you get "L'embaras du choix", from observing users watching habits it was found that long-term users of the system watched a disproportionate number of movies that start with A, B and C or sometime complaining about a lack of choice or "new" because on a system with a vast selection going through the list that's a lot of time even on fast systems (because of technical and practical reasons this can be improved a lot, but not enough to solve this problem, you can't browse faster than you can read) another fundamental reason why this happens is because users aren't compelled to watch unknown movies, often just reading the title isn't enough to motivate the user, in this way mythvideo helps by displaying a poster picture but it doesn't quite cut it at this point more is needed to "sell" the movies in the list, this can be done by adding new browsing modes and other ideas might be found by looking at how movies and rentals are advertised to the consuming public, movies trailers are probably one of the most effective and implementable way to do this, since they are free for download on the internet
- there are many suggested possible improvements
- make browsing faster on big systems (with a thousand movies it rarely takes less than 500 milliseconds to display a new line, there is no technical reason why this should take more than 10 milliseconds and can be done by simple optimization (some fail-safe are too easily triggered causing a huge hit in performance))
- a "skip to random" function, the user press a key and the interface jumps to a random movie
- a randomnize function, in this mode the movies are sorted randomnly instead of by alphabetic order
- a watch movie trailers function, ideally this plays a previously downloaded movie trailer, ideally while watching a trailer pressing a certain key would start the movie associated with the trailer (this makes using mplayer "bare" difficult, maybe mythvideo could start mplayer embedded and trap certain keys) another key could skip to the next trailer, rewind or pause the trailer and finally return to mythvideo (maybe with the associated movie selected) additionnally the title could be displayed on OSD while the trailer is being played maybe along with other information such as IMDB rating, and randomly selected IMDB comments
- along with the preview function , there could be an option to play a pre-determined number of trailers when a movie is selected (just like in a cinema where you see the trailers of upcoming movies before the main feature)
- scrolling pages, this mode could be just like "browse view" except that the movie being reviewed changes after a certain amount of time, and not just "jump" but scroll horizontally or vertically at a slow pace, it would be interesting to have this mode randomnly select the next movie to display, the advantage of this is that no user intervention is needed so the user doesn't have to actively "reject" a movie also the scrolling sets a pace for browsing so that the user doesn't get bored too quickly
- continuing on the topic of minimizing user interaction there could be a button to "just play a random movie" removing the burden of decision making from the user , this way the user doesn't actively choose a movie, it is assumed that the user will stop the movie if he doesn't like it later on, what is great about this is that it will increase exposure of movies the user does not think he will like based only on the promotion material (title,poster,trailer and "word of mouth"), watching movies is a passive activity, it is only natural that the process of choosing a movie be as little involving as possible ~~ mythvideo-at-domn-dot-net ~~
- some Generic pluggin system to get local more detailed or up-to-date local weather info.
- add ability to scroll through different favorite locales. I commonly want to see weather in 2-3 select places and don't really want to change my home location.
- Add ability to transcode a recorded program
- Add photo album support to MythWeb (something like JAlbum or gallery)
- update mythweb to graph TV usage/watching over time. Include time tv is on, most watched channels, most watched programs, most recorded programs, link to logs of mythtv usage per day
- Add option to MythWeb "backend status" to bump encoders out of LiveTV into "local" (i.e. - you left the TV in livetv mode, and nobody's watching)
- Add option in MythWeb to send a line of text to MythNotify - like a one-way page (probably most useful to add under backend status - where you can see that TV is on, and someone is likely to be in front of TV)
- Add search by title, actor, keyword, and new shows options to MythWeb. When searching for terms from mythweb, I would like to have them stored as search terms in myth GUI for future reference.
- How about rendering a mythtv page or set of trees based on a bluelava webpage or config and using a lynx/elinks like navigation? That would suit me fine and would provide a great solution for integration without reinventing heyu, br, and bluelava.
- Template Engine for Mythweb, for a easier way to create skins.
- Compatability with non-apache server daemons (such as lighttpd)
- Recognize program categories (in program listing) independantly of interface language (ie 'Doku' should not only show up as documentary when interface is German, ...)
- Add podcast support - could use the [MagepieRSS] library.
- Use Mythweb to control a front end by web interface, for those with wireless Tablet PCs..
- Ability to change the job queue (remove a job from the queue, stop a job, etc.)
- Ability to manipulate recorded programs -- eg, transcode, toggle auto-expire, view when it's on again, etc.
- Add ability to add movies to Netflix queue.
- Make MythFlix completely configurable from Mythfrontend