MythTV is the ultimate open source digital video recorder and media center hub. Its capabilities include:
- Watching and recording analog and/or digital TV, including HDTV.
- Pausing, skiping, and rewinding live TV shows.
- Providing automatic commercial detection/skipping, with manual correction via an intuitive cutlist editor.
- Intelligently scheduling recordings to avoid conflicts.
- Supporting parental controls to keep your kids out of the good shows.
- Watching and archiving DVDs.
- Listening to your digital music collection.
- Scheduling and administering many functions remotely via a web browser.
- Supporting a flexible client/server architecture allows multiple frontend client machines to access content served by one or more backend servers (although the most common installation consists of a single computer running both the client and server together).
MythTV works on the following platforms:
- Windows (64bit, 32bit) including Windows 8!
- Linux (64bit, 32bit) (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Suse, Mint, Arch, Mageia, Gentoo and many more)
- Supports AMD, Intel and Atom processors
MythTV supports many broadcast standards including:
- DVB-T, DVB-T2
- DVB-S, DVB-S2
- Analogue NTSC, PAL and SECAM
- IPTV (RTSP, ...)
- HTTP Live Streaming
Powerful TV recording/playback features:
- Programme guide support for Over-the-air programming (EIT), XMLTV and Schedules Direct
- Powerful rule-based recording - Create a rule for what you want to watch, MythTV will work out when it's on and schedule the recording for you. The rule can be as simple (e.g. "The Simpsons") or as powerful ("one episode of 'News' on channel X per day and only keep the three newest") as you want.
- Recording groups - Group recordings together in the way that works for you (e.g. "Mum's", "Dad's" etc. or "Cop shows", "Cookery" etc.)
- Cut-lists - Mark sections of a recording (e.g. adverts) to skip during playback.
- Variable-rate playback - Slow playback down to get a sequence in slow-motion, or speed it up to watch more in less time
- Subtitles - Support for displaying DVB/Teletext/Closed caption subtitles.
- Watch in-progress recordings from any point.
- High Definition and Standard Definition video!
- 1080p, 1080i, 720p, PAL, NTSC and SECAM
- Codecs: AVC (H.264), MPEG-2, VC1, OGV
- Containers: MPEG-TS, Matroska (MKV), AVI
- Full DVD menu and playback from physical discs, ISO images or files.
- High Definition Blu-ray playback from physical discs, ISO images or files
- Hardware video decoding and rendering:
- DXVA2, VDA, VDPAU, VAAPI, OpenGL, OpenGL ES
- High Definition audio
- Up to 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
- 7.1, 5.1, Stereo, Mono and split channel Stereo
- Upmixing from Stereo to 5.1 Channel Surround Sound
MythTV supports remote control by several means:
- HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)
- Infrared remote controls including RC6!
- Radio Frequency remote controls
- Over the internet via a built-in webserver
- Android Apps for Phones and Tablets
- iPhone and iPad Apps
For those who want enhanced or custom control of their system:
- JSON/REST/SOAP/XML control via the Services API
- Run custom programs after recordings are complete with User Jobs
- Run custom programs after selected MythTV System Events
- Write custom programs using Python Bindings
- Follow system activity using a robust Logging facility
- Automatically shut the system down when idle and use ACPI Wakeup
- Powerful theme engine allows themers to choose the layout, look and feel of all screens and to choose what information they want to show.
- Comprehensive list of ready to use themes available to suit most tastes.
- Most themes can be downloaded from the built in theme chooser.
- Automatically be told when there is an update for your chosen theme.
- Easy to adapt existing themes to suit your needs and add them to the theme chooser.
- Allows both the user and also the theme designer to choose the layout of the main menus.
- Contains a default, classic, DVR and Media Center menu themes by default.
There are several projects which include a Linux distribution bundled with MythTV (and associated libraries) to make installation, configuration and maintenance easier and faster:
- LinHES (formerly known as KnoppMyth) is a bootCD derivative of ArchLinux. Its MythTV frontend can be run from the CD. An entire installation to the hard disk can be made in minutes.
- Mythbuntu combines Ubuntu distributions with MythTV. The Ubuntu community has built extensive resources for installing, configuring and troubleshooting MythTV.
- Supported playback formats mp3, mp2, ogg, oga, flac, wma, wav, ac3, oma, omg, atp, ra, dts, aac, m4a, aa3, tta, mka, aiff, swa, wv.
- Rip tracks from CD to mp3, flac and ogg.
- Read metadata from cddb (MusicBrainz mirror) for ripped tracks.
- Read metadata from embedded tags in ID3v1, ID3v2.x, FLAC vorbis comments, ogg vorbis comments, avf comment, MP4 container tags.
- Read embedded coverart images from ID3v2.x tags and FLAC Vorvis comments.
- Read metadata from filename format.
- Write metadata to ID3v2.x tags, FLAC Vorbis comments, Ogg Vorbis comments.
- Write embedded coverart images to ID3v2.x tags and FLAC Vorbis comments.
- Full storage group support including playback from slave backend (not need to mount remote drives)
- Import music from any frontend to the music storage group on any backend (automatically moves the tracks to the correct directory on the BE creating the directory structure based on the filename format specified)
- Browse music by Artist, Album, Genre, Year, Rating
- Browse tracks in a tree or coverart views
- Support for adding images for albums, artists and genres.
- Create smart playlists (dynamic playlists that automatically update based on criteria you set) For example create a 'Favourites' playlist that has all track with a rating > 8.
- Compilation album support
- Browse music based on the tracks filename
- Play CD's
- Edit a tracks metadata and associated cover art
- Download coverart, artist images and genre icons from the internet.
- Playback ice/shoutcast radio stations
- Embedded and fullscreen visualisers (AlbumArt, Blank, BumpScope, Goom, MonoScope, Piano, StereoScope, Synaesthesia)
- Supports playback in the background allowing you to do other things in Myth while playing music
RSS News Feeds
- Supported formats RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Media Rss and ATOM
- Browse from a supplied list of feed or add your own.
- View the full article in the built in remote friendly web browser.
Security Camera Support
- Interfaces to Zoneminder 1.24.0 or later.
- ZoneMinder can be on any server not just one running mythbackend.
- View ZoneMinder's running status and the status of individual monitors (cameras).
- Enable/disable monitors and change there function.
- View live monitors in 1, 2, 4, 6 or eight camera views.
- View and play events for cameras filtered by camera and/or date.
- Delete events either individually or in batches filtered by camera/date.
- Easy to use built in web browser based on the popular Webkit.
- Can be used with a remote (A mouse is recommended)
- Tabbed pages.
- Page Zoom for easy reading on TV's
- Control the mouse pointer using the number keys on remote
- Integrated bookmark manager.
- Supports enabling browser plugins
- Customizable home page
- Create a DVD that can be played on all DVD players
- Add recordings or videos stored in MythTV or any video file on the local filesystem.
- Recordings and video's can be fetched from remote backends (no need to mount remote filesystems)
- Re-encodes the video and audio to a DVD compliant format before adding to the DVD
- Choose what quality to re-encode the video so you can add more titles by lowering the quality
- Will attempt to re-quantize the video if it is too big to fit on the DVD
- Add fixed or customizable chapter points.
- Supports adding two audio tracks.
- Choice of DVD themes that can have an intro, title menu, chapter menu and details page.
- Can add subtitles to the DVD (partial support)
- Can view both images and video (typically from a camera)
- Supports all image formats supported by Qt (typically jpg, png, gif, tiff, bmp)
- Optionally supports RAW format images
- Sort images by name or date
- Supports renaming, moving and copying images and directories
- Show a slide show of images in one or more directories either in the sort order or random order
- Supports several transition effects for the slide show
- Display information about local weather, including current temperatures, forecasts, and radar maps and alerts.
- Supports weather grabber scripts to obtain the weather data
Internet Video Playback
- Playback video from various internet video sources
- Can search and browse various internet sources
- Supports scripts to grab the data
- Can playback in the internal video player if possible or in a custom web page if nessesary
- Currently supports grabbers for BBC iPlayer, Blip.tv, Comedy Central, Daily Motion, Hulu, MTV, PBS, Revision3, Nature, TedTalks, The MovieDB Trailers, TheWB.com, topdocumentaryfilms.com, Movie Trailers, Space, Technology, TWit TV (This Week In Tech), Vimeo, YouTube