On the Operating system page, there are links to other peoples' pages about running/installing MythTV on FreeBSD, but as far as Nigel can tell, they are for MythTV-0.21 and don't help with Qt4, or MythTV trunk. These steps should help anyone on FreeBSD 7.2.
0) I installed FreeBSD from the DVD. Standard install, Devel + X-Windows package set, ports package management, MBR,
1) I am behind a proxy server, so as root I edited /etc/make.conf and added a line like:
2) Install sudo, because I try to minimise un-necessary root commands. As root, do:
cd /usr/ports/security/sudo make install rehash visudo
and add a user privilege specification for yourself. I just copied the root ALL one.
3) Install the pre-requisites; lame, mysql and qt:
cd /usr/ports/audio/lame sudo make install cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql50-client sudo make install cd /usr/ports/devel/qt4 sudo make install
In the first Qt options screen, enable SQL_PLUGINS and TOOLS. Just use the defaults in all the other options. If you want to run a backend on your FreeBSD machine, install mysql50-server instead of mysql50-client. A later version (mysql51 or mysql60) should be OK, too. It might be possible to install some lesser qt4 packages (e.g. qt4-corelib, qt4-moc, qt4-qt3support) but Nigel hasn't explored how yet.
4) Install subversion:
cd /usr/ports/devel/subversion sudo make install
(I also exited ~/.subversion/servers and added a proxy)
5) Download the source code, configure, make:
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv mythtv cd mythtv ./configure --extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/lib make sudo make install