Firstly, make sure your hardware is supported by Myth. Here's a list of mythtv compatible TV cards.
There are two different ways to install Mythtv.
- From an automated live cd install using knoppmyth, minimyth or MythDora.
- The D.I.Y. way using a guide, official install guide or use a HOWTO for different operating systems.
If you are having trouble, try:
- Checking the Frequently Asked Questions page to see if your issue is there.
- Searching the Gossamer-Threads mailing list archives. Gives access to the development, CVS commit and users mailing lists with a forum-like layout.
- Subscribing to the Mailing List. Make sure you read Mailing List etiquette before posting.
- Looking at Myth Tv Errata on this Wiki, which contains a short list of known MythTV bugs and workarounds.
When you've found a solution that worked it would be nice if you added it somewhere on this site to contribute back to the community. Even just linking to the mailinglist archives with a little description would help; search engines will index it and will bring up the correct results earlier in their listings.