MythTV on Playstation3
This will be a hub to gather all info around using MythTV on the Playstation 3.
MythTV is running under YellowDogLinux with packages from atrpm. The problem: As others reported before: playback is choppy because XVideo is not available and MythTV falls back to XSHM for playback.
The other way to get it working better would be to use Qt/Embedded and directFB to use MythTV directly from the console.
Information found on the web
For now I found the following interesting bits of information regarding MythTV on the ps3:
- First of all the wiki has dedicated page for using MythTV on the Framebuffer
Unfortunatly this is a little bit outdated (mentions MythTV 0.19) so we have to look in what way this is still up to date
- Here is a Gentoo HOWTO for installing MyhtTV with framebuffer: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV_in_Framebuffer
This is also outdated but is a good base to start
- Here is a thread from small_frenchy who tries to get running MythTV on the framebuffer under Gentoo: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3919197.html
Although this is not directly playstation 3 related it provides some current facts about MythTV on the framebuffer.
- Here is a thread from the dev-mailiniglist concerning Qt/Embedded 3.3.8 with directFB 1.0.0rc4 and MythTV: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/256098?page=last
It has some useful information on getting the stuff compiled
General bits of information
- Here is a thread of someone reporting about having YellowDog Linux on the PS3: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/258573
Not very informative, but who knows what will be replied to that thread in the future...
- Here is a task in the Myth-Trac which relates to a new branch (mythtv-vid) in MythTV which aims to work on the video-output of mythtv: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2287
The howto in this wiki mentions that this branch should be used when using MythTV in a framebuffer
First i will try to get Gentoo running on my Playstion 3. This will be the better base to compile and modify mythtv on my own. I will then try to get MythTV compiled with Qt/Embedded and directFB. I will report back when there is progress...