MythTV on Playstation3
MythTV is running under YellowDogLinux with packages from atrpm. The problem: As others reported before: playback is choppy because XVideo is not available and MythTV falls back to XSHM for playback.
I have installed Gentoo on my PS3 to start experimenting with DirectFB. DirectFB 1.0.0 compiled cleanly. I rebuilt SDL with directfb-support, and compiled mplayer with directfb support.
Unfortunately, mplayer does not work with directfb or sdl, it always crashes at some point. I still need to figure out why. Though the test-program DFBPoint does work nicely. When run with --dfb:mode=1280x720 it entered fullscreen nicely, but some of the slide-animations where a little bit sloppy. I wonder if Mythtv would run smooth via directfb if there is no hardware acceleration.
I have now successfully emerged qt-embedded. After that I checked out the mythtv-vid branch and compiled it successfully. It even runs, but I could not see what it outputs or if it works because i was logged in through ssh. But at least I got no crash! I'll report back as soon as I'm at home again. *keeping fingers crossed*
Information found on the web
For now I found the following interesting bits of information regarding MythTV on the ps3:
- First of all the wiki has dedicated page for using MythTV on the Framebuffer
Unfortunatly this is a little bit outdated (mentions MythTV 0.19) so we have to look in what way this is still up to date
- Here is a Gentoo HOWTO for installing MyhtTV with framebuffer: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV_in_Framebuffer
This is also outdated but is a good base to start
- Here is a thread from small_frenchy who tries to get running MythTV on the framebuffer under Gentoo: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3919197.html
Although this is not directly playstation 3 related it provides some current facts about MythTV on the framebuffer.
- Here is a thread from the dev-mailiniglist concerning Qt/Embedded 3.3.8 with directFB 1.0.0rc4 and MythTV: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/256098?page=last
It has some useful information on getting the stuff compiled
General bits of information
- Here is a thread of someone reporting about having YellowDog Linux on the PS3: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/258573
Not very informative, but who knows what will be replied to that thread in the future...
- Here is a task in the Myth-Trac which relates to a new branch (mythtv-vid) in MythTV which aims to work on the video-output of mythtv: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2287
The MythTV in Framebuffer HOWTO mentions that this branch should be used when using MythTV in a framebuffer
Since I have Gentoo up and running now on my playstation, the next step will be to compile Qt/Embedded and test if that works. After that, i plan to compile the mythtv-vid branch with directFB support.
I will report back when there is progress...