Play Recordings On Windows
Once MythTV has been setup there are a few options to allow playback of TV recordings from the Windows platform. The most obvious is MythTV itself which runs on Windows in addition to linux, FreeBSD and Mac OSX.
- MythTV on Windows - The MythTV frontend can be compiled and run on Windows.
- XBMC Xbox media center is now available on windows, and can play recordings and live tv. Plugin for XBMC is here. Another plugin is here.
- Boxee - Boxee will play MythTV natively, just add it as a source.
- VideoLAN Client 1.1.5 with MythTV VLC plugin - Browse and plays MythTV recordings.
- MythTV player - A video player built for MythTV.
The following require Samba shares setup to view recordings
- Play_Recordings_On_Windows_From_MythWeb using Samba shares, VLC and the Firefox Launchy add-on
- Samba using mythrename.pl to generate human readable filenames using Media Player Classic Homecinema to playback recordings
Note that samba/cifs can be problematic is not recommended, it introduces latency and problems with file attributes. Some libraries used by MythTV cannot even open files on samba shares, e.g. Taglib, tag reading library in mythmusic.
example samba share /etc/samba/smb.conf
[tvrecordings] comment = mythtv tv recordings path = /video/tvrec
ensure world has read access to files
chmod +r /video/tvrec