Schedules Direct is an organization created by several developers of MythTV and other similar projects to provide program listings data as a replacement for Zap2it Labs' Data Direct. The project was originally known as Easy TV Data, but was changed to Schedules Direct due to some concern over trademark infringement. The new project web site can be found at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/.
Everything that is known about it as of 12-July-2007 comes from their initial announcement on the mailing list:
Greetings from the newly-formed team at Easy TV Data,
This organization was formed by members of various software projects in response to the announcement from Zap2it Labs that they will be discontinuing the free TV listings service that they have been providing to the non-commercial free and open source communities for the last 3+ years.
We know that many of you are waiting on the edge of your seats to find out what's going on behind the scenes here, and we're just as excited to tell you, but we can't give you many details while we are still involved in negotiations. We can, however, let you know that we are actively working on a solution that will provide what we hope will be a smooth transition away from Zap2it Labs by the September 1 deadline. We will release more details as soon as we are able to do so, so please keep an eye on http://schedulesdirect.org/ for updates.
In the mean time, we are in need of a good lawyer who is familiar with business contracts and federal nonprofit law (preferably someone willing to work pro bono, at least initially). We are also looking for a good accountant (we are registered in Washington State) to help with any eventual financial/tax paperwork. If you are qualified and willing to help, please contact us at http://schedulesdirect.org/contact.php.
Thanks for sticking with us,
The Easy TV Data Board:
- Isaac Richards, Chairman (MythTV)
- Robert Eden (XMLTV)
- Daniel Kristjansson (MythTV)
- Kevin Odorczyk (MacProgGuide)
- Chris Petersen (Mythtv)
More information will be added as it becomes available.
Frequently Asked Questions
As gleaned from the mythtv-users mailinglist:
Q). Who is funding this project?
- (although we did get a nice donation offer from Google to help with startup costs -- I'll post more about that on the website). (Chris Petersen, 8/8/07)
Q). What will a subscription cost?
Less than $10/month, for sure:
- (heck, we've even had people offering to pay $10-15/month if it meant money going to people in the FOSS community and not some big corp like TiVo -- and that's way over any numbers we even thought about considering). (Chris Petersen, 8/8/07)
Q). What payment methods are supported?
Only PayPal at first, but other methods are in the works.
- Are we looking at other options? Yes, but the PayPal code is up and running, so that's what we announced. (Chris Petersen, 8/8/07)
Q). What is the schedulesdirect board cut of the profits?
- None of us are getting paid for this (in fact, it's been costing us money)
- We all have full time "real" jobs, and some of us have even had to use up vacation time for this endeavor.