Talk:Controlling DirecTV Set Top Box (STB) via USB or Serial
I have been messing with the usb port for a few days, I finally found this site after hours of searching.
I made a null cable, yet I still had to many problems to contend with, I have played with all the systems out there for httpc and found a major problem with this reciver the D11. So I called Direct TV today and finally got to a sorta real tech. LOL!
She had to try to read about what I was asking for on the usb port but she did find the problem.
There having a huge problem that will not be resolved for a projected time of 2 months. The USB port is not working due to software issues. It is a problems the will be fixed with a upgrade in the soft ware and although its not confirmed she did seem to thing this is a usb Upnp device.
Until then I think Ill buy a D10.
I appreciated the artical and hope that this will clear some issues up.
Trying to get directv.pl (D11 version) working with MythTV
I'm able to successfully use the modified (to use D11) directv.pl perl script, through a null-modem cum IOGear serial/usb converter, to work from a shell prompt, but have had no luck getting it to work from within MythTV. In mythtv-setup, in the box where the external tuner command string goes, I'm using
directv.pl box_type D11 on last_param delay .2 key exit
as specified by the directv.pl script's usage verbiage. MythTV is supposed to place the desired channel number at the end of this string and then run the command. (And, yes, I've made sure it's in a directory where mythtv will find it. I've also tried using the explicit path. No joy.) It seems to have some effect in that the picture pauses for a moment, without sound, and then goes right on displaying the same channel I was watching before. No change.
Ok, any GOOD ideas?
No luck with D11-100
I'm assuming the 100 extension is the manufacturer. I have 3 new boxes, all delivered end of May 2006. They are all D11-100, with firmware 0x1005. I've verified my cabling should work and checked everything on the Myth box, but I never receive any response from the STB. Very frustrated.
Turns out to be a bad BAFO USB serial adapter. An identical model replacement works. The bad one had a small bulge inside the molded plastic.
D11-100 works for me
I'm using my D11 with the above USB/NULL modem cable setup.
I'm using my own code to talk to it though, there is no reason that the above perl script won't work.
I control the D11 box from myth and Myth from the D11 remote.
Script works after port is initialized
It works for me, but only after I use something else to "touch" the port. Am I missing something?
Edit: I got it working by adding a write_settings line to the end of the initialize subroutine.
D11-100 Notes on Install/Config
After some wrangling, I have managed to get this working. Channels are changing. I am a bit of a Linux newb, so I thought I might toss out a couple of notes on what I did in case it helps somebody else.
Permissions: make sure that the directv.pl script file is owned by the mythtv user, and that the user has execute permissions. I didn't at first (DOH!), and it wouldn't work.
IOGear Adapter: Has a small LED on it. On mine, that LED only lights up when data is being transmitted through the adapter, and even then, it flickers only slightly. I contacted IOGear, and they confirmed that is proper operation. Some folks on the web have stated that their LED was on all the time after plugging into the D11 STB, but I did not find that to be the case for my adapter.
SerialPort Perl Module: In order for this script to work, you must have the Device::SerialPort perl module installed. If it's not, you'll probably get an error containing a note about Device::SerialPort when starting mythbackend. Google Device::SerialPort to find packages or use the method described here to install from WCPAN.
Mythtvsetup Config: Because this script was modified for the D11, I believe it has some residual usage instructions that are no longer required. As the person above indicated, they used a string with multiple parameters in the external changer command and it didn't work. I only needed to plug in the explicit path (/usr/local/bin/directv.pl) to get it to work. Using the box_type parameter, for example, is unnecessary, as the script modifications set D11 as the default box type. This is quite different than the script in its "original" form (used to control one of several older RCA or D10 STBs).
Cabling: Rather than use the recommended Serial-to-USB, Null Adapter, Serial cable combo, I just used Serial-to-USB and a null modem serial cable. If you don't have a serial cable laying around (I didn't), it may be cheaper to get the null modem cable than the serial cable and null modem adapter (it was for me).