UPnP Client Info
MythTV can act as a UPnP server, allowing compatibility with many media client devices. This page is intended to provide information on the various UPnP clients available and how they work with MythTV.
MythTV 0.20 added support for UPnP AV, an open standard method for sharing multimedia content. This allows for a MythTV backend server to share its videos with UPnP clients.
UPnP clients have some advantages over MythTV frontends, in that they are designed solely for multimedia playback, and are more suited for a home entertainment environment than many general purpose PCs. They are usually smaller, quieter, and use less power than a full MythTV frontend.
However, since they are not full MythTV clients, they do not have the full MythTV feature set. These devices simply support playback of videos stored in the MythTV backend, and potentially accessing music and photos. Video playback support varies from device to device, but none support the full capabilities of a MythTV client, such as automatic commercial skipping, bookmarks, and flexible FF/REW playback controls.
UPnP Device reports attempt to better document the capabilities of the various UPnP client options, and show MythTV users what to expect when using them. If you wish to create a new device report use the UPnP Client Template.
With MythTV 0.28 the UPnP code has seen major changes, improved browsing modes, more metadata, artwork for all media, strict UPnP (2014) and DLNA compliance and support for additional UPnP features.
UPnP Device Reports
Hardware UPnP Clients
Other than TVs. Note that TVs are in a separate table below.
|Brand||Model||Type||Works?||Works with 0.28?||Notes||Description|
|Asus||O!Play HDR-R1||Media Tank||Yes||Official site|
|Buffalo||LinkTheater P3LWG/DVD||DVD Player||Yes||Official site|
|Denon||AVR-3808, AVR-4306, AVR-4308, AVR-5308||A/V Receiver||Yes|
|Freecom||MusicPal||Music Player||Yes||Music Only|
|Moxi||HD DVR||HD Network DVR||No||Gives DLNA error (server not responding to request)||Product|
|Moxi||Mate||DVR Network Client||No||Gives DLNA error (server not responding to request)||Product|
|Netgear||EVA700||Wireless Media Player||Yes|
|Netgear||MP101||Wireless Music Player||Yes||Music Only|
|Nokia||N82, N95, S60||Mobile Phone||Yes|
|Pinnacle||Showcenter 200||Wireless Media Player||Yes|
|Sony||BDP-S480||Blu-Ray Disc Player||Yes|
|Sony||BDP-S580||Blu-Ray Disc Player||Yes|
|Sony||BDP-S590||Blu-Ray Disc Player||No||Connects to MythTV 0.25 but will not play recordings. Device returns file corruption errors on all recordings. Music gets played.|
|Sony||BDV-E580||Blu-Ray Disc/Home Theater||Yes||Recordings (HD-PVR, HDHR, PVR350), Videos, Music, but No Photos, using 0.25, Can FFWD/REW x1, x2, x3|
|Sony||Sony_BDP BX37||Blu-Ray Disc Player||No||Does not connect to the Backend|
|Sony||Sony_BDP BX59||Blu-Ray Disc / DVD Player||No||Connects to MythTV 0.26 but will not play recordings. Device returns file corruption errors on all recordings.|
|Sony||PlayStation 3||Game Console||Yes|
|Western Digital||Live HD||Media Player||Yes|
|Zeesonic||Z400||Wireless Media Player||Yes|
|ZyXEL||DMA-1000||Media Player||Yes||Official Site|
TV UPnP Clients
|Brand||Model||Type||Works?||Works with 0.28?||Notes||Description|
|Panasonic||TX-P42G20||Partial||MythTV 0.26. Plays MPEG2/4 video in MPG (both ts&ps) or AVI container. Blu-ray bitrate OK. Needs patch from issue #10583 to play recordings. Otherwise plays from Videos folder only. Does not play MKV files, same h264 stream in MP4 file works. Supports DVB subtitles only, muxed in MPG.||2010 G-series DVB-T/C fhd plasma.|
|Philips||42PFL7606K/02||Yes||MythTV 0.25. Live TV does not work, but access to transcoded recordings does. Does not play MKV files, same h264 stream in MP4 file works.||Official site|
|Samsung||UA40C6200||Yes||Plays but no navigation|
|Samsung||UA32D6000||Yes||Plays but no navigation|
|Sharp||LC-80LE632U Aquos LED TV||Yes||MythTV 0.26||Official site|
|Toshiba||46WL800A REGZA LED 3D TV||Yes||MythTV 0.27. Works fine with MPEG2, but having issues with finding the right profile for Plex.||Official Site|
Software UPnP Clients
|Name||Platform||Works?||Works with 0.28?||Notes||Description|
|PlugPlayer||Android, iOS||Yes||Official site|
|SnapStream BeyondTV||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|Nero MediaHome||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|CyberLink PowerCinema||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|GeeXboX||Linux distribution||Yes||Official site|
|GMediaRender||Linux||Yes||Tested as a media renderer on Version 0.0.7, a fork of the original and incomplete GMediaRender project. Skifta was used as the control point||Official site|
|Roxio Media Manager||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|Windows Media Player||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|Kodi (XBMC)||Linux, OSX, Windows||Yes||No||Official site|
|VLC||Linux, OSX, Windows||No||Official site|
|VLC for Android / Fire||Android / Fire OS||No||Official site|
|VLC for iOS||iOS||No - bug report||Official site|
UPnP Clients not yet tested with MythTV
- Slimserver: a non-tested free open source UPnP-client (and server) from Slim Devices for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. (Comment by news: Up to my knowledge they use their proprietary protocol and not uPnP)
- JRiver Media Center, a commercial Media Control/Renderer/Server for Windows.
- Musicmatch Jukebox, a commercial MediaServer UPnP MediaServer and music-player for Windows.
- Nero ShowTime, a commercial Media Control/Renderer/Server for Windows.
- VLC media player, a free open source cross-platform media player that has a UPnP-client (via the CyberLink UPnP plugin).
- WinAmp, a free closed source media player for Windows, using the commercial On2Share UPnP plugin.
- Microsoft Windows Media Player (WMP), a free closed source media player for Windows, using the commercial On2Share UPnP plugin.
- D-Link DSM-320, MediaLounge Wireless Media Player, (stand-alone hardware player).
- D-Link DSM-320RD, MediaLounge Wireless Media Player with DVD and Card Reader, (stand-alone hardware player).
- NETGEAR EVA8000, a wireless HD-capable media player supporting a range of formats.
Clients not compatible with MythTV
- Sonos Zone Player is a UPnP-client which can't play its content on any non-Sonos device (it uses some propritory protocol to stream audio).
- Elgato eyeHome hardware is not a UPnP client. It seems to use the iRDMI (ShoutCast?) protocol, plus other proprietary stuff (ports 1055-1059)
- Archos 605 wifi plays music fine. It can browse videos, but many aren't playable. .VOB files seem to work.
- Canola has the ability to play audio from UPnP servers but the plugin specifically says MythTV is not supported.
- D-Link DSM-330 DiVx Connected HD Media Player - UPnP not supported
- XBOX 360 According to GreyFoxx, this does not work 8/21/09 - Works perfect