UPnP Client Info
MythTV can act as a UPnP server, allowing compatibility with many media client devices. This page is intended to provide information on the various UPnP clients available and how they work with MythTV.
MythTV 0.20 added support for UPnP AV, an open standard method for sharing multimedia content. This allows for a MythTV backend server to share its videos with UPnP clients.
UPnP clients have some advantages over MythTV frontends, in that they are designed solely for multimedia playback, and are more suited for a home entertainment environment than many general purpose PCs. They are usually smaller, quieter, and use less power than a full MythTV frontend.
However, since they are not full MythTV clients, they do not have the full MythTV feature set. These devices simply support playback of videos stored in the MythTV backend, and potentially accessing music and photos. Video playback support varies from device to device, but none support the full capabilities of a MythTV client, such as automatic commercial skipping, bookmarks, and flexible FF/REW playback controls.
UPnP Device reports attempt to better document the capabilities of the various UPnP client options, and show MythTV users what to expect when using them. If you wish to create a new device report use the UPnP Client Template.
UPnP Device Reports
Hardware UPnP Clients
|Asus||O!Play HDR-R1||Media Tank||Yes||Official site|
|Buffalo||LinkTheater P3LWG/DVD||DVD Player||Yes||Official site|
|Denon||AVR-3808, AVR-4306, AVR-4308, AVR-5308||A/V Receiver||Yes|
|Freecom||MusicPal||Music Player||Yes||Music Only|
|Netgear||EVA700||Wireless Media Player||Yes|
|Netgear||MP101||Wireless Music Player||Yes||Music Only|
|Nokia||N82, N95, S60||Mobile Phone||Yes|
|Pinnacle||Showcenter 200||Wireless Media Player||Yes|
|Sony||BDP-S480||Blu-Ray Disc Player||Yes|
|Sony||BDP-S580||Blu-Ray Disc Player||Yes|
|Sony||Sony_BDP BX37||Blu-Ray Disc Player||No||Does not connect to the Backend|
|Sony||PlayStation 3||Game Console||Yes|
|Western Digital||Live HD||Media Player||Yes|
|Zeesonic||Z400||Wireless Media Player||Yes|
|ZyXEL||DMA-1000||Media Player||Yes||Official Site|
Software UPnP Clients
|PlugPlayer||Android, iOS||Yes||Official site|
|SnapStream BeyondTV||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|Nero MediaHome||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|CyberLink PowerCinema||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|GeeXboX||Linux distribution||Yes||Official site|
|Roxio Media Manager||Windows||Yes||Official site|
|XBMC||Linux, OSX, Windows||Yes||Official site|
UPnP Clients not yet tested with MythTV
- Slimserver: a non-tested free open source UPnP-client (and server) from Slim Devices for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. (Comment by news: Up to my knowledge they use their proprietary protocol and not uPnP)
- GMediaRender, a free open source UNIX/Linux media renderer.
- JRiver Media Center, a commercial Media Control/Renderer/Server for Windows.
- Musicmatch Jukebox, a commercial MediaServer UPnP MediaServer and music-player for Windows.
- Nero ShowTime, a commercial Media Control/Renderer/Server for Windows.
- VLC media player, a free open source cross-platform media player that has a UPnP-client (via the CyberLink UPnP plugin).
- WinAmp, a free closed source media player for Windows, using the commercial On2Share UPnP plugin.
- Microsoft Windows Media Player (WMP), a free closed source media player for Windows, using the commercial On2Share UPnP plugin.
- D-Link DSM-320, MediaLounge Wireless Media Player, (stand-alone hardware player).
- D-Link DSM-320RD, MediaLounge Wireless Media Player with DVD and Card Reader, (stand-alone hardware player).
- NETGEAR EVA8000, a wireless HD-capable media player supporting a range of formats.
Clients not compatible with MythTV
- Sonos Zone Player is a UPnP-client which can't play its content on any non-Sonos device (it uses some propritory protocol to stream audio).
- Elgato eyeHome hardware is not a UPnP client. It seems to use the iRDMI (ShoutCast?) protocol, plus other proprietary stuff (ports 1055-1059)
- Archos 605 wifi plays music fine. It can browse videos, but many aren't playable. .VOB files seem to work.
- Canola has the ability to play audio from UPnP servers but the plugin specifically says MythTV is not supported.
- D-Link DSM-330 DiVx Connected HD Media Player - UPnP not supported
- XBOX 360 According to GreyFoxx, this does not work 8/21/09 - Works perfect