unity-scope-mythtv is a scope for Unity that allows searching and playback of MythTV content from the Unity interface. It is developed by the Mythbuntu team. Support of this frontend is available via the IRC chatroom on freenode ( #ubuntu-mythtv ) or the Mythbuntu mailing list
A MythTV backend that has the services API (0.25+) A desktop with Unity installed such as Ubuntu 12.04 installed. Not all features are available depending on the version of Unity running.
As this is still very alpha, the latest code (as well as revision history) can be found at https://code.launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/mythbuntu/unity-scope-mythtv
- Unity filtering available (can filter to just MythTV TV Show or Video content)
- Shows play back in mythavtest (if that isn't installed, uses default video player)
- If using mythavtest, commercial skipping is available
- Uses coverart as icon
- Can playback recordings or content from MythVideo
- Searches Title, SubTitle, and Description fields
Since this is alpha, installation is a bit more manual and requires the terminal to stay open when running.
- Grab the bzr branch
- Run install.sh
- Reboot your machine
- Run /usr/lib/unity-scope-mythtv/unity-scope-mythtv from a terminal.
The configuration file that gets created is located at ~/.mythtv-scope-location.conf and looks like this
location = http://BACKENDIP:6544
mythprotocolport = 6543
Testing returned data
You can test that the MythTV backend is returning data by running the mythtvapi.py (/usr/lib/unity-scope-mythtv/mythtvapi.py) file from the command line. Running this command will do a search for 'parks' and print the results to the terminal window.