User:JeffSimpson/Upgrading from 0.19 p9163-r1 to 0.20 on Gentoo from portage overlay
Note: This wiki entry is in-progress. I don't recommend following it until it is finished
This upgrade was done with minimum downtime and maximum revert-ability in mind. All package building is done BEFORE the point of no return, so if there are any build problems, they will be discovered while the previous version is still running.
While MythTV is still running
Go through these steps while your MythTV system is still working
Back up previous mythtv packages
- Package up existing mythtv in case you need to revert back:
quickpkg media-tv/mythtv x11-themes/mythtv-themes
- Package up mythtv plugins (Optional):
quickpkg media-plugins/mythbrowser media-plugins/mythdvd media-plugins/mythgallery media-plugins/mythmusic media-plugins/mythvideo
Build new packages
- Add mythtv and mythtv-themes to the packages.leywords file
echo "media-tv/mythtv ~x86" >> /etc/portage/packages.keywords echo "x11-themes/mythtv-themes ~x86" >> /etc/portage/packages.keywords
- Build the packages (but don't install yet):
emerge -B mythtv(mythtv-themes package also installs)
With MythTV Stopped
This is the point of no return. Make sure you have some time set aside just in case you run into trouble, or if you won't be in trouble if you miss a few recordings.
Install new packages
- Stop Mythbackend
- Back up database:
mysqldump -u mythtv -p mythtv mythconverg > mythconverg-`date +%F`.sql
- Alternatively, if you use something like AutoMySQLBackup just run it.
- Install mythtv (will also install mythtv-themes)
emerge --usepkgonly mythtv
- Change ownership of storage directory to the mythtv user
chown -R mythtv /mnt/store
- I actually moved all my recordings to /mnt/store/myth at this point. Most people will not need to do that.
mkdir /mnt/store/myth mv /mnt/store/*.mpg /mnt/store/myth mv /mnt/store/*.png /mnt/store/myth chmod u+w /mnt/store/myth
- I set the ownership of the (new) recording directory to the myth user.
chown -R mythtv /mnt/store/myth
- Run mythtv-setup. This will update the database schema and may take awhile (took a few minutes for me)
- When mythtv-setup loaded, I changed the recording directory (under General). This is only needed if you changed your recording directory.
- Run mythbackend and mythfrontend!
- Note: This "just worked" for me, nothing else needed!