I'm one of the contributors to MythTV. While not a heavy developer, I am currently responsible for the MythFlix code as a maintainer, not author. I have contributed various small enhancements to the code over time and have been trying to also help here with the Wiki.
I currently have a multi-system setup consisting of a master backend running Fedora Core 6 with SD and HD tuners, and a remote frontend in my living room. I run SVN in production most of the time and find it very stable with a high WAF.
- ASRock K7VT2 Motherboard
- Athlon 2000 Processor
- 512MB RAM
- CoolerMaster Stacker 4 drive, 3 bay unit
- Close to 1TB of recording space spread over 4 drives of varying sizes
- Hauppauge PVR-500 dual tuner
- Two AverMedia 180 HD tuners
- Fedora Core 6
Currently, I'm considering integration of hulu.com into MythTV. I have done some work recently to get RSS media enclosures working with MythNews. This has allowed us some rudimentary support for downloading YouTube or Google Video content. Hulu, on the other hand, is an online streaming service from NBC Universal. It uses an embedded flash player to stream content.
What I think needs to be done
- Confirm MythNews can read a hulu.com RSS feed
- Confirm that Firefox on Linux can view hulu.com content - DONE
- Determine method to start Firefox with no decoration - DONE using a simple extension Hide Menubar, you can turn off all the navigation elements of the browser
- Embed Firefox in a mostly full screen Myth window. I think this can be done using the QX11EmbedContainer class in QT4. I say a "mostly" full screen window as I believe we will still want Myth to have the focus so that we can...
- Send mouse commands to Firefox window to click on hulu Play button - DONE using xautomation as an example. This uses the XTest extension the xwindows server. I was able to use xwininfo to get the ID of the window and position, then move the mouse relative to screen, then move it relative to the window (center), and then click to start the movie. It should be trivial to emulate this in Myth so that when the user clicks PLAY the movie starts at a minimum.
- Ideally, implement a "Gallery View" for MythNews where thumbnails are used for media feeds. Shouldn't be too hard with the new UI
All this should lay a groundwork for other integrations of other sites that use Flash only players. Since Firefox supports the new flash plugin and it appears to play most content, we have a good combination until the QT WebKit does the same (4.5?)