Video capture card
Video capture cards are used to get the picture from the cable, aerial, or satellite television source into the PC (compared to video display cards which provide output). It decodes and captures the video signal from the channel you want to record.
- 1 Types of cards
- 2 Capture Card Matrix
- 3 Detailed Information
- 4 External Links
Types of cards
Analog framebuffer cards
Analog Hardware-MPEG cards
These cards, currently the Hauppauge PVR-250 and Hauppauge PVR-350 and the AVerMedia M179, have a video processor onboard which compresses the tuned video signal into an MPEG-2 program stream before sending it into the computer. The tends to greatly reduce the load on the entire machine (with certain technical caveats), and these cards are recommended for.. well for all systems, really, but specifically, for systems with more than one, and especially more than 2 tuner cards.
Digital Hardware-MPEG cards
Like the Analog Hardware-MPEG cards above, these cards have a video processor onboard which compresses the tuned video signal into an MPEG-2 program stream before sending it into the computer. One example of such a card is the AVerMedia DVB-T 771.
Capture Card Matrix
Here is a matrix, listing cards with their related drivers.
|Card||Driver||Works with MythTV?||Hardware-based encoding?||CC Stream?||CC MPEG2?||Notes||Reporter|
|ATI All-in Wonder||na||N||na||na||na||Does not work with MythTV||Unknown|
|ATI HDTV Wonder||kernel >= 2.6.15, cx88-dvb||Y||N||?||?||broadcast HDTV||Unknown|
|ATI TV-Wonder VE||bttv||Y||N||Y||?||Discontinued||Unknown|
|AVerMedia M179||IVTV stable||Y||Y||?||?||Unknown|
|AVerMedia DVB-T 771||bttv I believe||Y||Y||?||?||WhyTey|
|ComPro VideoMate TV PVR/FM||v4l2||No||No||?||?||MythTV 0.19, Works with KdeTV||Ola A|
|DVICO Fusion DTVDVB-T||?||Y||?||?||?||DVB-T, more info||Unknown|
|DVICO FusionHDTV5 RT Gold||Kernel >= 2.6.15||Y||Y||?||?||DVB Driver from linux kernel 2.6.16, Works out of the box on Ubuntu 6.06 more info. The analog tunner is visible by the kernel on the V4L driver - not yet tested in Mythtv||Jylups|
|FireWire capture||na||Y||na||??||??||Caption stream is avail when playing through cable box, but not through mythtv||Unknown|
|Hauppauge DEC2000-T||?||Partial||?||?||?||DVB-T, USB external tuner||Unknown|
|Hauppauge Nexus S||?||Y||?||?||?||DVB-S, STV02998 based Mpeg Encoder||Unknown|
|Hauppauge PVR-500||IVTV >= 0.4.0||yes||yes||no||no||Dual TV tuners, single FM Radio tuner.||Unknown|
|Hauppauge PVR-350||IVTV stable||Y||Y||Not supported in MythTV||Y||Has TV-out and if the option to encode CC in MPEG datastream is enabled, PVR-350 TV output can also pass it back to the television CC decoder. Not recommended for new purchases, as mpeg decoding does not support advanced myth functions (like fast-forwarding) and future versions of myth will use OpenGL, which will not work on this card||Unknown|
|Hauppauge PVR-250||IVTV stable||Y||Y||Not supported in MythTV||Y||Unknown|
|Hauppauge PVR-150||IVTV stable||Y||Y||N||N||Unknown|
|Hauppauge WinTV 38061 Rev B226||bttv||Y||N||?||?||Use btaudio for sound||Unknown|
|Hauppauge Nova-T||bttv||Y<=0.18.1 N==0.19||N||?||?||DVB-T, Digital Terrestrial||Unknown|
|Hauppauge Nova-T||cx88-dvb||Y||N||Does CC in UK||DVB-T, Digital Terrestrial||User:Fishter|
|Hauppauge Nova-S||CX88-DVB Kernel >=2.6.15||Y||N||?||?||DVB-S, Digital Satellite||Unknown|
|Hauppage WinTV PVR (Roslyn)||na||N||na||na||na||Does not work with MythTV||Unknown|
|Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2||na||N||na||na||na||Does not work with MythTV||Unknown|
|K-World Xpert DTV - DVBT PCI||?||Y||DVB-T, has aerial passthru||Unknown|
|Matrox Rainbow Runner G-Series||mgavideo||Y||Y,mjpeg||N||N||Discontinued||Unknown|
|pcHDTV HD-3000||kernel >= 2.6.12, cx8800, cx88-dvb, cx22702, or51132||yes||no||no||no||broadcast HDTV.||User:rtsai1111|
|Plextor ConvertX||wis-go7007-linux-0.9.7||Y||Y||N||N||USB external device (MPEG4)||MythTV 0.18|
|Technisat AirStar HD-5000||kernel >= 2.6.x, dvb B2C2, LGDT330x||yes||no||no||no||OTA and Clear QAM HDTV.||User:digitalboy|
|Terratec Cinergy 400||?||Y||N||?||?||Unknown|
|Terratec Cinergy 600||?||Y||N||?||?||Unknown|
|Twinhan MiniTer DVT PCI||kernel >= 2.6.8||N||N||?||?||DVB-T Australia. Provides MPEG2 stream from digital signal||User:Bill|
Removed from matrix because I could not find any info at vendor websites (please re-add if you have info about these!):
- ATI TV-Wonder Pro
- Aver Desktop PVR
Cards that work
ATSC (HDTV) cards
- pcHDTV HD-2000 (V4L w/pcHDTV patch -or- dvb driver) (Terrestrial only) (replaced by HD-3000)
- pcHDTV HD-3000 (V4L w/pcHDTV patch -or- dvb driver) (Terrestrial and clear QAM)
- Air2PC (dvb drivers) (Terrestrial and clear QAM) (replaced by AirStar 5000)
- AirStar 5000 (dvb drivers) (Terrestrial and clear QAM)
- ATI HDTV Wonder (dvb drivers) (Terrestrial, clear QAM?)
- FusionHDTV 5 Gold or Lite (dvb & v4l cvs, mm kernels) (Terrestrial and clear QAM)
- FusionHDTV 5 RT Gold (dvb & v4l. kernels >=2.6.15) (Terrestrial and clear QAM)
Hardware Encoder cards
- iTVC15 family of MPEG encoders supported by the IVTV drivers
- Matrox Marvel G200/G400 MJPEG encoders
Software Encoder cards
- BrookTree (bttv) based cards. NOTE: The bttv page includes kernel parameters and links to vendor specs.
- Hauppauge WinTV-Go
- ATI TV-Wonder
- ATI TV-Wonder VE
- Hauppauge WinTV
- Leadtek WinFast
- Leadtek WinView 601
- Pinnacle PCTV Studio
- Pinnacle PCTV Studio Pro
- Lifeview Fly Video II (Bt848) LR26 / MAXI TV Video PCI2 LR26
- Lifeview Fly Video 98 LR50 / Chronos Video Shuttle II
- Lifeview Fly Video 98/ Lucky Star Image World ConferenceTV LR50
- Lifeview Fly Video 98/ MAXI TV Video PCI2 LR50
- Lifeview Fly Video 98FM LR50 / Typhoon TView TV/FM Tuner
- Lifeview Fly Video 2000 /Fly Video A2/ Lifetec LT 9415 TV [LR90]
- Prolink PV-BT878P+4E / Lenco MXTV-9578 CP
- Prolink Pixel View PlayTV pro / Pixel View PlayTV PAK
- AVerMedia TVCapture 98
- STB TV PCI FM, Gateway P/N 6000704 (bt878)
- 3Dfx VoodooTV 100, Gateway P/N 6000699 (btt878)
- Sigma TVII-FM
- Zoltrix Genie TV/FM / TV-Max (people reported having Audio Issues with card)
- Sabrent TVTuner (bt878)
- BT878 (Takes an MPEG2 HDTV(?) stream)
- ATSC - pcHDTV / HD-2000
- Philips SAA7134-based cards
- Terratec Cinergy 400
- Terratec Cinergy 600
- Compro VideoMate TV Gold Plus
- Avermedia DVB-T (Bt8xx)
- DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T (More Info)
- DNTV Live! DVB-T Pro (More Info)
- Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-T PCI Cards
- Hauppauge Nova-T (Digital Terrestrial)
- Hauppauge Nova-S (Digital Satellite)
- Hauppauge Nova-SE2 (Digital Sattelite)
- Hauppauge Nexus-S (STV02998 based) Mpeg Encoder
- Leadtek LR6650 DVB-T and other cards based on the Conexant 'reference' DVB-T design.
- Nebula Electronics DigiTV PCI Rev 1 (Bt878, Nxt6000) Rev 2 (Bt878, Zarlink MT352)(Digital Terrestrial)
- Pinnacle PCTV DVB-S (Bt878)
- Technisat Sky Star 2 PCI
- Twinhan MiniTer DVT PCI
USB Capture Cards
Cards that don't work
- ATI All-in-Wonder cards
The ATI drivers provide a kernel module for basic V4L support which allows for capturing video from the device as it is playing. They do not, however, provide the tuner functions necessary for MythTV to select channels. Instead, they implement their channel tuning using the Xv extensions of X-Windows. A solution might be to patch the MythTV source code to recognize the ATI hardware and use Xv frequency changing to change the channel rather than solely relying on the V4L tuning functions. Then it would depend on whether the V4L support for capture is adequate enough in the ATI drivers for MythTV to work. It also might be possible to use an externally called Xv channel changing utility to change the channels.
The ATI All-in-Wonder card cannot (it is said elsewhere on the internet) send video across the PCI bus. It can only show video on the VGA output on the card. It is on this basis that neither the card nor drivers are appropriate for use with mythtv.
- Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-Roslyn (P/N: 28552 on the TV Tuner).
- Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 (MPEG2 encoder box with USB2.0)
- http://pvrusb2.dax.nu/ a bare but apparently functioning userspace driver, no V4L so no MythTV for now.
- http://justiceforall.free.fr/pvrusb2.html A V4L driver for this card, but I'm not sure if it'll work with mythtv ;).
- http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2.html a driver by Mike Isely, actively maintained unlike the others. Is reported to work with MythTV.
- Cards based on the Conexant cx23416 MPEG encoder chip not already supported under ivtv (e.g. PVR2000).. development work has been done but cannot be considered a good solution for mythtv (yet).
- PVR-350 all functions work, but TV-Out isn't well suited for Myth, since it isn't accelerated and the MPEG decoder isn't well supported any longer.