The WebFrontend is a browser based frontend for MythTV. It will replace MythWeb but is not a full replacement for MythWeb in MythTV 0.28. Therefore MythWeb will still be available.
WebFrontend is served by an internal HTTP server in the mythbackend application and requires no additional dependencies or configuration, working out of the box.
Quick start guide:
- No external dependencies, no configuration required
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
- Web Sockets - Real time updates with no polling
- HTML 5 Video support (work in progress) with HLS streaming (DASH support planned)
- TLS Encryption
- Digest Authentication
- Programme Guide
- Schedule creation and editing
- Program searches by Title, Person, Category, Keyword and Channel
- Recording Rule Management
- Recording Management
- Recording Playback in browser
- Remote control of playback in mythfrontend
- Streaming playlist support (M3U8, ASX, XSPF formats)
The WebFrontend is configured with a default account named "admin" protected by the password "mythtv" on installation.
The internal web server looks for files in /usr/share/mythtv/html/. If a different prefix was specified when building then the directory will be /my/directory/prefix/share/mythtv/html/. Check if this path exists and if it contains directories and .qsp files. Also make sure there are no symbolic links in the path below html. If you have installed mythtv in a directory below a symbolic link, you will get a 404 error when accessing the web frontend. You can get around the problem by specifying the MYTHCONFDIR environment variable to hold the canonical path as follows:
export MYTHCONFDIR=`readlink -e /my/directory/prefix`
Also, your storage directory paths as specified in mythtv-setup must not contain any symbolic links. If they do, video thumbnails will not work and error messages appear across the screen display.