This article describes how to install and configure a software to use the nintendo Wii remote to control MythTV.
Original Method (very manual)
Installing a bluetooth adapter
- Connect a linux supported bluetooth adapter (e.g. D-Link DBT-120)
- Install linux bluetooth support BlueZ
# apt-get install bluez-utils
- First check, if the bluetooth adapter is installed correctly. Entering the following command should give you a list of all adapters.
# hcitool dev Devices: hci0 01:23:45:67:89:AB
- Next scan for bluetooth devices. To activate the discover mode of the Wii remote, press buttons 1 and 2 simultaneously, then enter the following command, which should give you a list of all bluetooth devices in range.
# hcitool scan Scanning ... 99:88:77:66:55:44 Nintendo RVL-CNT-01
The Wii remote is named (as you can see) Nintendo RVL-CNT-01.
Install linux driver for Wii remote
# apt-get install python-xlib python-bluez
Now install the Wii remote driver by downloading and unpacking the newest package from this site, or use the subversion repository to get the bleeding edge version. The latest code from subversion has mouse support. The following chapters assume you installed the driver in ~mythtv/wmd
Modify configuration file
Edit the configuration file ~mythtv/wmd/wmd/Config.py Find MY_WIIMOTE_ADDR and set the address of your Wii remote which you got from the previous scan.
Find commandMap and configure the buttons to suite your needs
To test the driver run ~mythtv/wmd/WMD.py. Press button 1 and 2 on your remote and wait for the driver to connect.
Now press any buttons on your remote and you should see the corresponding events
... CONNECTED Event type WM_CLOCK_BEAT is being ignored [112, 0, 22, 126, 124, 129, 28, 151, 150, 154, 18, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0] Send Key DOWN: 50 Buttons down: ['1'] mSend Key UP: 50 Buttons up: ['1'] Send Key DOWN: 23 Buttons down: ['2'] iSend Key UP: 23 Buttons up: ['2'] Send Key DOWN: 15 Buttons down: ['+'] Send Key UP: 15 Buttons up: ['+']
If you see an error message complaining about a missing uinput-device you have to load the uinput kernel module first.
# modprobe uinput
Setup for MythTV use
You will want to enable the mouse pointer in Mythtv. In the settings menu, select "Appearance". On the second page enable a checkbox to enable the mouse pointer.
To use the Wii remote in mythtv we just need to start the main python script ~mythtv/wmd/WMD.py. Create a file ~mythtv/wmd/mythtv_wiimote.sh with the following content
and add it to your X startup file ~/.xinitrc
To use your remote just press button 1 and 2 and it should connect to your mythtv box.
Make sure that the uinput module is loaded on system startup and your mythtv user has read access to the created device /dev/input/uinput. I added the following lines to /etc/rc.local
modprobe uinput chmod a+r /dev/input/uinput
Alternatively, install MythPyWii
Current features include:
- Fastfoward/rewind/timestretch by varying amounts via twisting of the wiimote
- Play/pause/back/up/down/left/right/menu/information/delete/save position via button pushes.