Talk:MythUI Theme Development
dont't we need a menu-ui.xml aditionally to base.xml? --Managementboy 13:39, 14 April 2009 (UTC)
- This documentation isn't done. That's not the only required file that hasn't been documented yet. Iamlindoro 15:52, 14 April 2009 (UTC)
What are and how to use:
- Textarea: draworder
- Draworder is not used in MythUI. Order is defined by definition order of widgets in the XML. Iamlindoro 15:52, 14 April 2009 (UTC)
- What are all the possible Mythfilled text types, aside from title, subtitle
- There are hundreds of these. As mentioned on this page, the name attributes are set by the code of the screen you're on. As you will see in each xml file's documentation, the filled text areas, images, etc. are documented. Iamlindoro 15:52, 14 April 2009 (UTC)
- I think I did not write my question correctly. Each screen has a bunch of data that could be displayed, like the title, subtitle, screen shot, description, date, time and I guess a lot more. I tried looking for a comprehensive list of what "variables" each screen provides, but did not find them. I think it would be really helpful to document these here, lets say each screen with a title and a brief description of what can be done there and what variables should be used. I'll help doing it. I also found out yesterday that one can "fuse" the variables by writing them together into the XML tag, like "titlesubtitle" will then be "LOST - Episode 1" (I used the common Wikipedia formatting, hope you don't mind) --Managementboy 07:54, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
- You asked your question fine, but my answer still stands. Those variables are set by the code in each screen. For those screen which I've documented so far, I've listed all the variables. Try clicking on "video-ui.xml" on the bottom of this page and scroll down-- you will see a list of all the the textareas, imagetypes, etc. you can use on that screen. There is no fusing of variables, each combined one has to be defined in the code. Please *DO NO ADD* any of the variables to this page, that is not what it is for. This page is for documenting high level concepts of MythUI theming and behaviors of each widget, *not* for adding page-specific things like variable names. If you are new to theming, please consider not editing these pages-- It is hard enough to make progress on the documentation without needing to fix any mistakes or misunderstandings.
- <position>60,y</position>, what does the "y" stand for (or is it just an unfinished theme? or is it a flexible thing?)?--Managementboy 08:30, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
- This question is hard to answer without context...
- <value>%|"SUBTITLE|"% %STARS% %DESCRIPTION%</value> : Can I use these variables in any textarea, or just in one with the name "description"? I assume that | means that " will be printed not parsed? Are there more variables that can be used setting the percent sign?--Managementboy 08:30, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
- No. You can only use the custom variables in the value attribute when there is code (called a map) which maps the various text variables to these. There are only a couple places where this works, the most obvious of which is the Watch Recordings screen.
- Inheritance: what xml files get loaded in what order? This boggled my mind yesterday until I realized, that base.xml would be first, therefore recordings-ui.xml would inherit everything from it. right?--Managementboy 08:30, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
- base.xml, then everything else. Other pages can only inherit from base.xml.
- downscrollarrow: If I define a buttonlist with a horisonal alignment, don't I need "leftscrollarrow" and "rightscrollarrow"?--Managementboy 08:30, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
- No. You would use a left and right image, but you would still use the up and down widget names.
- Contradiction in the section "Font definitions"? : Do fonts need to be installed systemwide? (See the description of the "face" attribute vs the "Note" section below the table).
- Thank you, fixed now.
- Font size: Is this measured in pixels or points? Would be nice to add this to the description of the "size" attribute under "Font definitions".
- Thanks, clarified.
Note the right place to ask questions
This is not the ideal place to ask MythUI questions as it's not a forum. Please ask them on one of the mailing lists or in #mythtv-users on freenode (IRC).
- While this may not be the ideal place to ask questions, as questions are asked elsewhere, everyone please remember to bring the answer back and record it in the wiki. Otherwise more people will end up having to ask the same question later! Mrand 23:53, 30 April 2009 (UTC)
Is this guide correct for 0.24? I thought Button-Trees for example are not supported anymore , or is that only for OSD-menue?